Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

It seems that I can only get updates through the apple website and not the app store. Anyone know a solution?

When I click on my apple it says I'm using OSX ML 10.8.1 so I click software update and nothing on the app store, go to appe website download page and wouldn't you know there's the download.???!!!😕

MacBook Air (11-INCH, MID 2011), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 24, 2012 2:59 AM

7 replies

Aug 24, 2012 9:09 AM in response to alwayslostandconfused

The Apple Support Communities are an international user to user technical support forum. As a man from Mexico, Spanish is my native tongue. I do not speak English very well, however, I do write in English with the aid of the Mac OS X spelling and grammar checks. I also live in a culture perhaps very very different from your own. When offering advice in the ASC, my comments are not meant to be anything more than helpful and certainly not to be taken as insults.

OS X updates are usually released through Software Update in the Apple menu. The current process is that SU will then check with the Mac App Store to download the update. What is downloaded from the MAS is a delta update that adds the changes for 10.8.1 to your installation of 10.8.

If you see an update to Mt Lion in the MAS Updates pane, thet is the full My Lion installer app (4+ GB to download).The MAS is letting you know that the installer is available should you need to download it, perhaps for another Mac that you may own and wish to upgrade to Mt Lion. You can ignore this flag on the MAS if you do not need it.

Aug 24, 2012 9:33 AM in response to Dah•veed

Thank you, I only have one Mac and I have yet to get an update through the App Store; I have to go to the apple download website. So, far I've had to get 2 HP printer updates the 10.8.1 update from the website, they never showed up in the app store or through the apple menu. I just happened to see the 10.8.1, why would it show it if my sytem wasn't running it?

It seems that I can only get updates through the apple website and not the app store. Anyone know a solution?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.