Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How To Set EFI Password?

From what I can tell I need to reboot to the Install DVD (which I don't currently have) in order to set the EFI Password. I've seen that the Thunderbolt ports have been hacked already and are vulnerable to similar attacks that use to be done using the Firewire stuff. The EFI password stops 1/2 of the possible attacks and I'd like to set it. Question is, how?

I have downloaded the Mountain Lion Install image, but not sure where it put it as its not in Downloads. Can anyone tell me 1) Where is the image so I can make a DVD? 2) Is this the proper way to set the password?

Thanks,

G

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion, 16gb RAM 512MB HD

Posted on Aug 24, 2012 7:29 AM

14 replies

Apr 2, 2013 5:49 PM in response to R3searcher

It sure does. Are you booting off the Recovery HD? Do you have a Snow Leopard DVD in the DVD drive?

Ok I know what is going on. that screen comes up before the screen I posted. Otherwise if the screen you posted didn't come up people in other parts of the world would need to know English to navigate the screen I posted. Just select your language and then the arrow at the bottom and you should get the screen I posted.

From there you should be able to set the EFI password.

Good Luck & Best Wishes.

R3searcher wrote:

No, sorry. It looks like this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-dUy2x43RqZ8/TzW5kamI7bI/AAAAAAAAAuY/UhMjS6iPQog/s1600/ Lion+step+2.png

I'm saying it looks like it wants to do a brand new install!

Also, I'm using Mountain Lion 10.8.2 on a mid-2012 MacBook Pro (and I DON'T want to "upgrade" to 10.8.3 due to the very many bad reports I've read!)

Apr 3, 2013 12:38 AM in response to R3searcher

You must be working in a very insecure environment to think you NEED the EFI password protection. After all, TB and FW attacks require physical access to the computer and I'll be damned if I let miscreants that close to my beloved. You will find yourself in a world of pain when that password is activated; things that worked simply before won't and you'll be at a loss to know why.

Vaya con Dios, amigo.

Jun 2, 2014 4:39 PM in response to Courcoul

I have a son who is somewhat of middle-of-the-night computer addict. Despite having passwords on all computers in the house, he knows about Command-S during startup to get into single-user mode, and knows exactly what to type to change passwords, add accounts, etc.. He learned all this from googling from the school library computer!

So now he trolls the house at 1AM, 2AM or 3AM and does his dirty work.

I just want to disable Command-S, and heard that having an EFI password is the only way. If there's another way, pray tell, I'm all ears! Please make my life simple! (and no, telling me to ship my son off to boarding school, as much as I might like to do it, is not a viable solution).

Thanks!

Jun 6, 2014 12:44 PM in response to donmerlin

Steps:

1. boot up in single user mode (cmd-s during startup)
  2. run those two commands to enable write access (the ones that follow that message that says "run these commands to update files").
  3. cd var/root
  4. ed .profile
  5. i (input mode)

if term is vt100 then reboot

(tried to use actual UNIX command but this forum did not allow it)

. (exit input mode)

w (save file)

q (exit ed)

6. exit

Upon reboot, tried to go into single user mode, looked like it was going into it, but then it did an automatic reboot instead (yay!).

Thanks for the pointer.

Bill

How To Set EFI Password?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.