Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I try Apple Developer Program before buying it?

Hi there.

I am interested in enrollment in Apple Developer Program, but before paying for , I'd like to know what the environment looks like and to see if it is suitable for me or not. Is there anywhere I can have a quick look at it ( for example something like a 10 minute trial ) ?

Regards

Posted on Aug 24, 2012 8:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2012 8:18 AM

No trials. The meat is all tied to non-disclosure agreements that are part of the sign up process when you've committed and paid the non-refundable USD$99 (Individual Program).

Besides, 10 minutes would not be anywhere hear enough time to even begin to become aware of all that is involved 🙂

See

Choosing an iOS Developer Program / Which Developer Program is for you?

You can download Apple's IDE - Xcode - from the Mac App Store and play with it all you want without paying the fee, if that helps.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2012 8:18 AM in response to Augend

No trials. The meat is all tied to non-disclosure agreements that are part of the sign up process when you've committed and paid the non-refundable USD$99 (Individual Program).

Besides, 10 minutes would not be anywhere hear enough time to even begin to become aware of all that is involved 🙂

See

Choosing an iOS Developer Program / Which Developer Program is for you?

You can download Apple's IDE - Xcode - from the Mac App Store and play with it all you want without paying the fee, if that helps.

Aug 24, 2012 8:49 AM in response to Augend

You can enroll in the developer program without paying anything. There are a number of paid-only features, but the basic content is the same. Once you get the point where you want to test on a device, need an in-depth question-and-answer forum, or actually want to distribute your software in the App Stores, then pay money.

Aug 24, 2012 8:50 AM in response to K T

Thank you "K T" for such a fast reply , but I think I couldn't transfer what exactly I meant of that. I am really sorry but let me explain a little more. Before changing to Mac, I used to use "Windows Driver Development Kit" for making drivers for my AVR microcontrollers.

There, I could make a USBPipe object and set pIUSBpipe-> IsInEndpoint and so on.

After changing to Mac I realized that it has a lot of fantastic powerful and easy-to-use platforms for doing so ( for example USBPrivateDataSample). . (I really dont want to get answered here in this specific topic because I know I am in a free community here . this was just an example of the kind of my questions)

Although in Windows I was almost a professional, in Mac I am completely a newbie.

This is what I want to know: Is this program a suitable place for a newbie Mac programmer with almost professional Windows experience like me ( specifically C & C++ ) ? for example if I go there and ask the question above, I will be answered or they only help in debugging and program issues? Absoluteley I have no idea about the program, does it look like a forum or community or something else?

Aug 24, 2012 1:11 PM in response to etresoft

Thanks. I checked the link and it was really a big help.

Just one other question. Does it look like a forum ( as is here ) or each customer is linked directly to specific experts? I understand that there is no trial, but at least is there any screen shots of the program that I can have a general idea about it? ( I searched google images but of no avail)

Aug 24, 2012 1:29 PM in response to Augend

Screen shots aren't going to help. What you get with the free developer account is just what see with that link. It is free so go ahead and sign up. If you were using an old machine that didn't support the latest Xcode, for example, that would be a good place to download older versions of Xcode. Also included there are some of the oddball things that are not part of Xcode anymore like the Graphics tools and Auxiliary tools. If you want the Dictionary Developer Kit or PackageMaker, you would need a free developer account to access them.

With the paid developer accounts, most of the benefits are behind the scenes as well. You get to install your software on a limited number of devices for testing. You can submit apps to the App Stores. The paid Developer forums don't look much different from these forums. There are some Apple employees around but mostly they just point you in some direction. Most of the help comes from other developers. It isn't as timely as this forum. You may have to wait a week or two for an answer, if any. But there are many more developers there. In my opinion, if you were just starting off, you would get better, more timely beginner help here than there. Plus, your questions are covered under the NDA so you can ask about how to code for Mountain Lion before it is released. I don't participate very much in the paid forums, but I did recently ask a question and get a very good answer on how to do something that Apple had flagged as deprecated but hadn't provided any replacement procedures. Someone else actually knew how to do it. I was impressed.

Aside from the forums, your $99 also gets you a couple of Apple Developer support tickets where Apple engineers will help you with very specific problems. I have never used these at all. For the most part, all of my problems have been caused by my own limitations.

Another place you can look before paying are the Apple Mailing Lists. There are a number of developer-oriented forums and they are still active even with the paid forums. The search feature is awful. Use Google "site:lists.apple.com" instead.

Can I try Apple Developer Program before buying it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.