Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

printing entire image in 4x6

I can't seem to print an entire image in a 4x6 print -- as soon as I select anything smaller than 8x10, it crops my image automatically and won't let me zoom out or move the frame using any of the built-in print options. It's like iPhoto just won't scale down the image that far. Any ideas?

iPhoto '11

Posted on Aug 24, 2012 11:05 AM

17 replies

Aug 24, 2012 1:17 PM in response to Keith Barkley

Yeah, I'm there. It seems like as long as I have 4x6 selected as my paper size, iPhoto forgets about everything for at least an inch or so on all sides of the photo. Even changing the print size doesn't seem to change the size of the image at all, it just prints a smaller or larger section of the very center of the image. And when I go to the "customize" window, it won't let me zoom out or move the image -- it's like those pixels have ceased to exist as far as iPhoto is concerned.

Aug 25, 2012 8:59 AM in response to Yer_Man

Yeah, those ratios are just about equal. But again, that's not the problem I'm having.

It doesn't seem to matter what I type in for print size, because it's not just changing the aspect ratio for the entire image; it's only taking a tiny chunk of the very center of the image and leaving out probably close to a thousand pixels on all four sides.

Look at the screen shots I posted above: even if 5.33x4 is not the precisely correct ratio, the entire width of the photo should be visible. But instead it's only the very center, and about 1/3 of the photo on either side is missing.

Aug 24, 2012 2:56 PM in response to RevBruise

If you want to print the entire photo onto a 4 x 6 stock you must select a custom size that is less than 4x6 but has the same size ratio or your original image.

For instance if your photo is 1600 x 1200 that has a ratio of 4:3 or 1.333. A 4x6 image has a ration of 1.5.

Therefore select a custom image of that's less than 4x6 that has a size ratio of 1.333. That will fit the entire photo on the stock you've chosen but will leave some white space around the photo.

Here's a photo that has a size ratio of 1.337. Printed standard as a borderless 4x6 you'll get this:

User uploaded file

But if you select a custom size of 5.35 x 4 which is a size ratio of 1.337 you'll get this:

User uploaded file

So it can be done but just required a bit of math.

OT

Aug 24, 2012 3:24 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks -- I wish this were the issue, but it's not. When I select 5.35x4, it gives me a little section of the center of the image, at the right aspect ratio. iPhoto zooms it in automatically and won't let me zoom out while I have 4x6 paper selected.

I've also tried exporting the file to different size jpgs, but then for whatever reason Preview doesn't give me options for paper other than letter size.

It's like I have some setting checked deep in the bowels of iPhoto that it will only print at a certain range of dpi. Or something?

printing entire image in 4x6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.