Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up manual backup in time capsule

Hi

I've been having some problems with my MacBook Pro. The processor is being overworked by a bad kernel in the OS. I've had it checked over by support and the only option is to wipe the hard drive and start a fresh. As a result I've invested in a Time Capsule to do a backup of my music and photos before wiping it. Due to the issues with the processor, I am only able to access my user account and hard drive in safe mode and it was suggested that I perform a manual backup as opposed to letting the time machine run, which apparently can be processor demanding.

Can someone please advise on the steps I need to follow to successfully initiate and complete a manual backup. So far, my MacBook has recognised the time machine and I have set up the basic info for it. I have not yet connected the time machine to the internet, though I assume its not compulsary as I've already accessed it without the time machine being connected. I have attempted to follow the instruction in the manual to no avail and after exploring all the options in the time machine menu, I'm still no closer.

My MacBook Pro was purchased in January 2010 and I'm currently running Mountain Lion (10.8). A quick response is appreciated as I have a deadline to meet before I have to wipe the hard drive. The longer I keep this bad kernel, the more damage it could do!!

Many thanks in advance

James

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Aug 24, 2012 11:44 AM

2 replies

Aug 24, 2012 1:34 PM in response to james1100101

Manually copy the files.

Just open finder and locate the files you want to save.. the library for iphoto and itunes should be obvious although you might need to look up where they are.

Copy the libraries as a standard file to the TC.. but create a directory for it.

You should also be able to boot the Mac from installation CD.. using disk utility you can create an image of the startup drive.

http://macs.about.com/od/backupsarchives/ss/diskbackup.htm

A backup utility like clonezilla can boot the Mac and do a full disk image.. same as the above if you don't have ready access to a boot cd. Once you have full disk copy to external drive.. you can access the files you need once you have a proper working OS. that is the way I would do it. I am sure some of the other guys here have better suggestions.. but you can download clonezilla and create a boot cd. This works on the Mac just as well as the PC apparently.. though I haven't tried on the Mac.

Setting up manual backup in time capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.