Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete game center (or at least make it inert)

I dislike many of the new "features" of Lion & Mt. Lion, but non more then the "apps", for example "Game Center"! This piece of code (to me on my business machine) that I cannot easily delete from my system has cause me to look for a way tomake it as non existent as I can.

So, if you are like me, thenhere is what I did:

1) Locate Game Center in your Application Folder

2) Right click (or control click) on it and select "Show Package Content"

3) Select the folder you find in there called "Contents" and move it to the Trash

4) Empty the trash

You can stop here if you are not comfortable with Terminal because Game Center will no longer work but if you really want it gone then

5) Open up Terminal and type (EXACTLY WHAT IS IN BETWEEN THE QUOTES spaces and all):

a) "cd /Applications" (this will move you to your "Application" folder)

b) "rmdir Game\ Center.app" (rmdir = remove directory) - THIS IS A VERY VERY DANGEROUS COMMAND KNOW THAT BEFORE YOU USE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Open your Application Folder and notice it is GONE!

One last thing... Use the above instructions at your own risk! I do not make any assurances but so far I have had no problems.

<Edited by Host>

Posted on Aug 24, 2012 5:52 PM

13 replies

Aug 24, 2012 7:40 PM in response to hpr3

hpr3:

It's not that it bothered me in there, it's more that I do not like having ANYONE (including Apple and let me just say I have blead in 6 colorssince 1983) demand I install and or load any application. Especially one that I will never use and do not like the interface of.

I know that this may seem trite to you but I know that I am not alone in this, since quite a few clients and friends have asked me about how to delete things like "Game Center" and "Launchpad"...

What I'm really talking about here is CONTROL. I want complete control over what belongs to me and I don't like that Apple is now trying to controlmy system in ways I don't like.

Just my humble opinion.

Aug 24, 2012 7:43 PM in response to drbroom

Well, in my opinion, I don't see things like GameCenter or especially LaunchPad as ways of Apple forcing us to use certain products or services. Those sorts of things are, in my mind, helpful/fun/productivity increasing, WHATEVER you want to call them.

And launchpad, that's not even a program. It's just an easy way to find all of your Applications.

Aug 24, 2012 8:03 PM in response to Noble Seven

I am with Noble Seven on this one.

I can completely understand and relate to drbroom, however if you feel strongly about it, then I would suggest you to switch to another unix distribution that only comes with kernel where you can customize each package. Mac OsX is an operating system written and sold by Apple at the end, which gives them the right to decide what it part of OS and what is not.

How to delete game center (or at least make it inert)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.