Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete hard drive partition

I previously created a second partition on my MacBook Pro hard drive. I now wish to delete that partition and restore the space to the boot partition. The instructions in Disk Utility are not clear to me on how to accomplish this. Under the Partition tab, if I select the partition that I wish to delete, it states that “This partition can’t be modified.” (it also states “To erase and partition the selected disk ... etc” ... not what I want.)

Can someone explain in simple language how to remove the second partition and revert back to my original single partition configuration?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), iPhone 3G

Posted on Aug 24, 2012 8:15 PM

17 replies

Jan 6, 2017 8:51 AM in response to Ralphjh

I followed the suggestion to no avail. In Disk Utility I select the disk to be erased, press erase, the icon of the hard disk on the desktop becomes white for a few seconds but reappears. The minus sign in Disk Utility under the tab Partition does not highlight. The unwanted hard disk occupies all the memory I want to be available for the main disk. If I try to resize this memory, it creates a new disk.

MacBookPro under El Capitain 10.11.6

Jun 15, 2014 10:17 AM in response to Lanny

So this will work if I create partition with a bootable version of a different OSX? From a couple of things that I read in forums it seemed that a "GUID" partition may not operate this way, i.e. that I would need to erase the whole HDD of I wanted to remove it.

PS I want to do this for a beta version OS.

Jun 15, 2014 10:31 AM in response to DTM82

Not sure what you're looking for as this post was originally about removing a partition.

However, you can have multiple boot partitions with different OS X versions on the same drive. If you have enough space, you should be able add partitions without having to erase the whole drive. I understand that there are limitations when one of the partitions is a bootcamp partition.

Aug 4, 2015 4:15 AM in response to Lanny

User uploaded file

I tried installing bootcamp then got stuck and gave up. I then tried to remove bootcamp and the partition it created, but an error message came up during the process and said there was an error removing the partition. The programme ended up closing and now I am left with an empty partition which I can't figure out how to delete. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Macbook Pro Late 2011 Yosemite

Cheers,

Sam

Delete hard drive partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.