Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canon 5D MarkII crashing Final Cut Pro 6

Hello,

I'm editing a web video on FCP 6 and shot with Canon 5D camera. I converted all files to Pro Res and I also imported the EOS.mov files that the camera shoots. I'v done this with 3-5 successful videos now and all of sudden FCP keeps crashing. This never happened before. The footage keeps skipping and the sound pops, the beach balls spins for a second and then entire FCP crashes. I'm loosing work and going nowhere. I use both the Pro Res and the EOS.mov files and sometimes it seems to help, but eventually it will skip during play and then crash.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

The original files from the camera's CF cards all play great with no skipping.

J-

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Aug 24, 2012 10:26 PM

4 replies

Aug 25, 2012 12:19 AM in response to Jeff Santos

Hi Jeff,

Why are you using both the converted Pro Res clips and the original H264 clips ?, that's not going to work.

The reason you converted in the first place was that the original H264 format doesn't work very well with FCP, you will have issues eventually, as you've found out. Keep everything Pro Res in a Pro res sequence and you shouldn't have any problems.

DM

Aug 26, 2012 7:54 AM in response to Jeff Santos

Just to add to the all–Pro Res advice you've been given, the simplist (and best) way to get to achieve this is to use FCP's Log & Transfer. For L&T to work with the 5D, you need the Canon movie plug-in for FCP and the memory card's original file structure and content need to be intact. If you're using this workflow already, great; if not, try it. It will get your projects off to the best possible start.

Russ

Aug 31, 2012 7:35 PM in response to David Mclaine

Hey, Thanks,

Yes I know it I shouldn't use the original H264 Clips and I wasn't. Everything was Pro Res, the footage and the sequence. The problem is that it's still skipping. I only brough in that exact clip in the H264 and tried it just for curiosity and you are correct, that doesn't work either.

It's still skipping and driving me crazy. I left town and turned off computer for 8days. I got home and started editing same project and it ran perfect for 3 hours, then all of sudden skipping and crashing again.

I'm going turn computer off and back on now-

Canon 5D MarkII crashing Final Cut Pro 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.