2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 26, 2012 6:43 AM by manofdogz
manofdogz Level 1 Level 1 (30 points)

My question is: does the "put hard disk(s) to sleep whenever possible" option over-ride the "never" setting with regard to timing your computer sleep? 

The reason I ask is that I have my computer sleep set to "never" at present because I'm downloading some large files overnight. I inadvertently left the "put hard disk(s) to sleep whenever possible" option on.

In the morning (and this has happened 3 times now) the large download had stalled and would not resume without me closing the app (Mainstage - downloading Jam Packs and Logic extras) and opening it again - whereupon an option to 'resume the interrupted download' appears.

So I'm wondering if the "whenever possible" option has over ridden the 'never' option and interrupted download.

Any thought welcome

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 27" | 2.7 Core i5 | 12GB Ram
  • Don Archibald Level 10 Level 10 (101,285 points)

That option does not override 'never' on my machine. I have that option enabled, and just set the Energy Saver sliders to 'never' when making a long download. Then I go away and take a nap or do something else. The download always completes, even over several hours.

If your ISP had a brief comm interruption while you were away, that could explain it.

• manofdogz Level 1 Level 1 (30 points)

That's what I'm suspecting also - driving me mad as I have a large multi-part download (Mainstage / Logic extra's) and there is no option to download components separately. I'm now on my 8th attempt and download always hangs at some point. Time for a new router I guess but I wish Apple would make this stuff downloadable component by component like they do with Software Update....