Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mountain Lion loses network during sleep, causes problems on wake

Under Mountain Lion, my Mac Pro seems to lose the network during sleep, which causes problems on wake, including causing some apps such as Transmit and Mail, to beachball. I clean installed Mountain Lion, so this is not legacy crud. Anyone else seeing network issues on wake from sleep?

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion, 8 x 2.8 GHz 10 GB RAM, Radeon 4870

Posted on Aug 25, 2012 10:42 AM

6 replies

Sep 4, 2012 12:53 AM in response to Gary P

I too am having this issue. I did all of the fixes to no avail and my MBP 2011 is used sparingly and I have not modified it in any manner, The wifi I use is Airport and everything is updated and current.

I have to shut down the laptop and then restart it when I want to use it and even then it eventually gives me the "Safari Cannot connect to Server" message-

This never happened in Lion and I am very frustrated over this.

#1 Why should I have to jump through hoops to fix an obvious ML Software issue- It should be up to Apple.

#2 Good luck getting Apple to notice this- Google this issue and see the hundreds upon hundreds of Apple users having this problem.

#3 I paid 20 bucks to have a once perfect computer now be as aggravating as my 10 year old windows xp running norton with 512 mb of ram and going so slow you can mow the lawn in between web pages loading.

#4 I have to find a way to get this off of my chest as it is so maddening that I am fit to be tied- I thought I left this behind moving to Apple.

#5 I also have a another Apple-- a Mac Mini and it is having the same issues.

#6 They need to fix this and not make me try to circumvent poor software design.- I do not want to labor for days on end installing and reinstalling mountain lion or anything else for that matter or going to the genuis bar or on the phone for naught with applecare. having read all of the so called fixes and then people say it worked ( for 30 mins or so ) then it is back to square one.

#7 When this first happened a report was sent to apple by my computer.

#8 Sort of skittish to get the new Apple iPhone 5 if this is what I can expect.

#9 As much as I hate my old microsoft windows xp PC-- at least it works--- this is NOT something to be proud of Apple.

#10 I know I accomplished nothing in this post BUT I Feel Better anyway.

Sep 4, 2012 6:12 AM in response to Gary P

I'm having the same issue since I updated the new update. When the computer goes to sleep and I wake it, the internet connection is lost and when I try to reconnect I get the spinner and everything is blocked, finder doesn't work anymore and I'm forced to force shut down. The new start takes ages. this cannot be correct.I can't understand Apple sending out an update that fixes a few minor problems but causes bigger ones. Don't the developers test their products anymore? I get the feeling that we are the guinea pigs who try everything and have to send in the reports of what doesn't work. If that IS the case why do we have to pay to try out new products.

bsu I understand totally your frustration and I too am very angry and frustrated that my work is taking now longer to finish than before. I would have thought that newer software, systems or other products are to make things easier and faster. Montain Lion is definately NOT the case.

Sep 4, 2012 2:22 PM in response to Anthony Cheston

As you can tell I was( and still am ) pretty upset-I suppose sarcasm isn't going to solve anything- but I just had to vent- Fingers crossed-- Apple will fix this soon-- I saw on another of my Posts about this issue that the guy said to set your energy saver --sleep mode-- to never- So I did that and I hope it works--- until an appropriate fix is issued thru apple.

Mountain Lion loses network during sleep, causes problems on wake

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.