Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone know why I got this Terminal Error? [ERROR] The device-file for this operating system, 'osx-12.1.0.xml', was not found.

Here is the full text:

[ERROR] <CPPathUtils.c:526> The device-file for this operating system, 'osx-12.1.0.xml', was not found. An attempt to revert to a previous revision of the OS device-file: 'osx-12.0.0.xml' has been made. Please file a Radar report with Apple, on the 'CoreProfile' component, version 'X'.

Appeared after 10.8.1 Friday update while troubleshooting USB/FW issues w/ Mountain Lion.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 25, 2012 11:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply
16 replies

Sep 3, 2012 9:58 AM in response to mculmore

My suggestion is to do the following as this is a level 3 error so hence is non critical:

1. Open Terminal.app

2. cd /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreProfile.framework/Versions/A/Resources/De vices/

3. sudo ln -s osx-12.0.0.xml osx-12.1.0.xml

4. Enter password if asked

By adding a soft symbolic link you fool the purge command into believing the newer file exists. This type of link is non-distructive and hence if the file osx-12.1.0.xml will be overwritten if it is installed with a future update.

Use this at your own risk but it does offer a temporary fix. Its hard to say if the issue is fixed in 10.8.2 we will have to wait to find out. The fix has the benefit of preventing the annoying message about rolling back as the roll back will be done behind the scenes using the link.

Sep 3, 2012 10:27 AM in response to mculmore

Good morning mculmore,

You need to enter number 2. With only a space between cd and the path any other spaces should be removed.

Yes you hit enter and you should be in the directory of osx12.0.0.xml you can see if its there by typing ls and again enter.

The password would be your own password assuming your account is in the admin group for that machine.

Sep 3, 2012 11:40 AM in response to Luke Collins

OK. To recap:

1. Open Terminal.app

2. Type at cursor:

cd /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreProfile.framework/Versions/A/Resources/De vices/

3. Press Return

4. Type at cursor:

ls

5. Press Return

6. Type at cursor:

sudo ln -s osx-12.0.0.xml osx-12.1.0.xml

7. Press Return

8. Enter password if asked

9. Done.

Can I then type ls again to verify the change?

Anyone know why I got this Terminal Error? [ERROR] The device-file for this operating system, 'osx-12.1.0.xml', was not found.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.