Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AFP connection/login super slow in Mountain Lion

I have a i5 Mac Mini with a 1TN FW800 and 3TB FW800 disk connected.

I used to have fast speeds when mounting a share, as in i click connect and within 5 seconds i had an icon on my desktop.

Now it takes up to a minute to mount a share. This happens on every computer in the house. Including 2 10.8 iMacs and a 10.6 Macbook Pro.

Back when the server still ran 10.7 it was faster, much faster.

On another server I had before, using 10.6 server the whole thing worked spotless.... Now with every update, or even every week, random crap happens. These slow logins being the latest.

Anyone else experiences this? How to resolve? Or even diagnose, as i can't find what's going on...

Posted on Aug 25, 2012 11:55 AM

8 replies

Aug 25, 2012 8:28 PM in response to adegans

If this is the same as I've seen in the past, try deleting your .GlobalPreferences file. This file is double hidden in that it starts with a . which means it is not visible in the Finder and it is in your ~/Library/Preferences folder which is also not visible.

So to get rid of it, try this:

1: Open Terminal (found in your Utilities folder)

2: enter the following command:

rm ~/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist

Then try connecting again.

Aug 26, 2012 5:18 PM in response to adegans

Hmm, I looked at what I wrote and realized I may have missed a detail. The issue I've seen is when there are multiple .GlobalPreferences.plist files. Try this:

cd ~/Library/Preferences

ls -la

The first command changes you into the Preferences' directory. The second lists all files including invisibles. Look through the list. Do you have more than one file starting with .GlobalPreferences? If so, get rid of them all.

Aug 27, 2012 7:27 AM in response to adegans

That was my best suggestion. Are you on the same LAN as the server? If so, try this:

1: Open a Finder window on the client

2: Find the server in the Finder window's sidebar

3: Select it from the sidebar and then press the Connect button

4: Are you able to connect to it faster this way?

Now, I am assuming that you have been using Connect to Server dialog this whole time and that your DNS is setup properly. Keep in mind that the sidebar will use Bonjour to connect and Connect to Server will use DNS or IP address to connect.

Also, which part is the slow part? Does it take a long time to get the authentication dialog or does it take a long time to connect to the share after authenticating?

Dec 14, 2012 8:35 AM in response to bobgeo

I got so fed up with server and its bollocks performance and (un)stability that I've downgraded both my servers to Mountain Lion Client.

All networking services like DHCP/DNS and such are moved to a Linux server.

The only thing my OSX "server" does now is filesharing. And it's mighty fast.

I have a whole slew of posts on my blog if you're interested - http://meandmymac.net/1568/mac-os-server-bye-bye/

AFP connection/login super slow in Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.