Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to force my iMac to always shutdown completely

I've been having problems with my iMac not shutting down and finding it alive when I return hours later. So, I've been testing Automator ideas and finally found something that seems to work every time. So, I'm posting it here in case I lose my original and need to install it again. Maybe this'll help someone else too. I couldn't figure out how to export or copy and paste it all, so here are the specific automator steps I used and any changes are mentioned with each. By the way, I am not an apple scripter, but found these scripts by googling and trying different search results, including my own Watch Me Do. If the force quit doesn't help you're problem, then all I can say is sorry, it works here.

Use Automator to create an App, which I saved as shutdown.app. Then activate it by using Command-Space to activate spotlight and typing the first few letters and return.

First Automator Action: Set Computer Volume (I use this to reduce the volume to 20% so it won't blare so loud on the next bootup)

Second Automator Action: Run AppleScript - This will initiate the normal shutdown procedure (paste this into the script):

on run {input, parameters}

tell application "System Events"

shut down

end tell

return input

end run

Third Automator Action: Pause (set to 30 seconds to give some time for the shutdown to prompt you to close any open apps)

Fourth Automator Action: Quit All Applications (uncheck Ask to save changes)

Fifth Automator Action: Run AppleScript - This will initiate an "Apple Menu" => "Force Quit" and select any app that didn't get killed by the Quit All Applications routine (paste this into the script):

on run {input, parameters}

-- Click the “Apple” menu.

delay 1.000000

set timeoutSeconds to 2.000000

set uiScript to "click menu bar item \"Apple\" of menu bar 1 of application process \"Finder\""

my doWithTimeout( uiScript, timeoutSeconds )

-- Force Quit…

delay 5.000000

set uiScript to "click menu item 11 of menu 1 of menu bar item \"Apple\" of menu bar 1 of application process \"Finder\""

-- Click the “Force Quit” button.

delay 4.167005

set uiScript to "click UI Element \"Force Quit\" of window \"Force Quit Applications\" of application process \"loginwindow\""

-- Click the “Force Quit” button.

delay 4.898337

set uiScript to "click UI Element \"Force Quit\" of sheet 1 of window \"Force Quit Applications\" of application process \"loginwindow\""

return input

end run

on doWithTimeout(uiScript, timeoutSeconds)

set endDate to (current date) + timeoutSeconds

repeat

try

run script "tell application \"System Events\"

" & uiScript & "

end tell"

exit repeat

on error errorMessage

if ((current date) > endDate) then

error "Can not " & uiScript

end if

end try

end repeat

end doWithTimeout

Sixth Automator Action: Loop (Automatically Stop after 100 times) - This will keep going back through the force kill if any app survived the previous attempt.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Aug 25, 2012 12:35 PM

2 replies

Oct 15, 2012 12:09 PM in response to BDAqua

This script occasionally has an error and ends up not shutting down. It seems the script never goes to the next iteration of the loop. I'm not sure how to fix debug and fix it, so I decided to try bash instead.

I've eliminated the Sixth automator action from the above "shutdown.app" and saved it to "sd.app"

My bash script is an executable file in /Users/paul/Documents/shutdown.sh, and contains:

#!/bin/bash

while true ; do

#echo "yes"

open -n "/Applications/sd.app"

sleep 60s

done

My new shutdown.app automator action has

First Automator Action: Run Shell Script (paste this into the script):

exec /Users/paul/Documents/shutdown.sh

How to force my iMac to always shutdown completely

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.