Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Meraki Systems Manager vs Apple Configurator?

I see people waving around Meraki Systems Manager as an alternative to Apple Configurator for mobile device management, but it is unclear what specific advantages Meraki offers vs Apple Configurator.

There seem to be some very serious limitations, particularly with regard to backing up and restoring device images, as well as App pre-installation. The Apple Configurator stores all that data locally on the iMac's hard drive, and the images and apps to load can be gigabytes in size but transfers as fast as the USB 2.0 iPad cable can handle it.

Meanwhile Meraki claims to be wholly "cloud based", which means it is at the mercy of your Internet connection for downloading or restoring. I am not interested in dragging our Internet connection to an absolute crawl by repeatedly downloading the same gigabytes of data over and over for each "cloud managed" MDM iPad.

How is Meraki handling this, or does it just not do image backups and restores?

iPad 2, 40 or more in a school environment

Posted on Aug 25, 2012 3:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 12:15 PM

A cloud based MDM,including Meraki, should not be viewed as alternatives to Configurator but looked at as complimentary - use both. Prepare and/ or supervise the devices with Configurator ( you can install the MDM profile when preparing) and use the MDM for the those devices that need to be managed "hands off" from afar. For labs and set ups where the devices are on hand and can easily be reattached to a cart or a mac, Configurator may be all that is needed. If you have a 1 to 1 deployment with many devices going out to mobile users it makes sense to use Configurator for initial set up and subsequent management through an MDM such as Meraki.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2012 12:15 PM in response to DMahalko

A cloud based MDM,including Meraki, should not be viewed as alternatives to Configurator but looked at as complimentary - use both. Prepare and/ or supervise the devices with Configurator ( you can install the MDM profile when preparing) and use the MDM for the those devices that need to be managed "hands off" from afar. For labs and set ups where the devices are on hand and can easily be reattached to a cart or a mac, Configurator may be all that is needed. If you have a 1 to 1 deployment with many devices going out to mobile users it makes sense to use Configurator for initial set up and subsequent management through an MDM such as Meraki.

Sep 24, 2012 9:21 AM in response to Edtech2012

Hi Edtech2012,

You can download a provisioning profile from Meraki (it will be a .mobileconfig file), and add that to your Profiles list in Apple Configurator. You don't need to unsupervise them to install the Meraki profile. Just click the "+" sign under Supervise - Settings - Profiles. Choose Import Profile and navigate to Meraki's .mobileconfig file that you downloaded. Then add that profile to your list of supervised devices. You'll then see them listed in your Meraki Systems Manager.

Hope this helps. Good luck!!

~Joe

Apr 27, 2014 12:17 AM in response to filidutt

MDMs like apples profile manager and meraki allows you to push changes out to devices, deploy apps without them having to be touched

Apple Configurator requires each device to be returned and handled in some way

As gyrhead posted, the best use is combination of apple Configurator and a MDM solution

The combination makes deployment easier and faster. They complement each other

Apr 27, 2014 2:23 AM in response to iToaster

Thanks for your time! Although my question is what makes the combination the preferable way to go? We handed out a hundred iPad minis without using either. I just signed up for Meraki and will connect my hundred students starting Monday. The reason for me asking about the combo (Configurator+Meraki) is because I wonder if I'm missing something essential going Meraki only.

Thanks

/Filip

Apr 27, 2014 9:27 AM in response to filidutt

And how long did that take you

Using Apple Configurator for the initial configuration is faster than having to do everything manually

It's not essential it just makes it easier, faster and less mind numbing

use Apple Configurator to to a basic config, wireless, MDM enrol

Use the MDM for user, group, device config, deploy apps etc

Once your setup it's way faster

I use a provisioning wireless to get the devices on the network

The provisioning wireless is deployed via apple Configurator along with MDM enrolment

The MDM pushes out the wireless the user should be on along with email VPN apps etc

experiment and see what works best for you in your situation

Try it for yourself Apple Configurator is free

It's a different story again if your enrolled in DEP :)

Apr 27, 2014 11:08 AM in response to iToaster

Thanks again!

Well, it was really not time consuming since we just handed out all the units and had the students connect to the wi-fi manually. And they are allowed to use their private apple-IDs as well, so there was no need to set that up.

I'll play around with configurator like you said, to get a hang of what it can do for us. We're handing out 20ish new units next semester, so that's a great opportunity to try it out from the start.

I'm working in Sweden, I don't even think there is a DEP available here. =)

Apr 28, 2014 1:05 PM in response to DMahalko

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone ( Gyrhead etc ) who has contributed to this thread.

Has anyone written a howto guide for Meraki or another MDM used in tandem with Configurator?

We are on year 2 of configurator. We may now add another MDM tool.

We also share the WAN load concerns. We do not want to drag our internet connection to a absolute crawl. LOL. They called it Skynet for a reason. Due to our rual location our WAN speed is highly limited. Using a combination of registry hacks and router tricks we force ios and windows7 and other tools to update only after 4pm.

FYI. I've written a howto guide for starting out cold on Configurator. See below. Cheers, J

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SMBgyzONxcx6_FswgkW9XYLpA4oCt_2y1uw9ceMZ9F4/ edit?usp=sharing

Short URL below, same link

http://goo.gl/ciP8ht

Apr 30, 2014 1:43 AM in response to filidutt

"Sine we just handed out all the units and had the students connect to the wifi manually"

Hmm I'd be careful doing that, if your not managing the devices in some way and the devices are owned by your intuition. If one or more of your students

decides to set iCloud up and find my iPhone for themselves. You could find yourself locked out of the device and having to prove to Apple your institution really does own it.

Changes to iOS 7 locks the device to the iTunes account used in iCloud setup ...no password no go

Meraki Systems Manager vs Apple Configurator?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.