Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music stops when open apps

I have an iPad 2 and iPad 3. Both have the same issue. I will start playing music using the music app (standard app which came with the iPads). Music plays fine. I will then open an app such as Safari or iBooks. Sometimes the music will continue to play. Other times it will stop. I can't seem to reproduce the experience the same way each time. For example, I can open the music app, start the songs playing and then click on home button to open Safari (or iBooks). When I do that, the music will stop.

I am using the latest iTunes, have my iOS up to date etc. I regularly sync to my MacBook Pro which has Mountain Lion.

I suspect I am simply doing some step in the incorrect fashion.

Any suggestions oir advice are welcome.

iPad, iOS 5.1.1, iPad 3

Posted on Aug 25, 2012 7:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2017 9:18 PM

I have the exact same problem. Except it happens whenever I have a game app already opened, start playing music, than switch to or open the game from my home screen. The music than stops abruptly. Doesn't matter if the silent switch is off. It especially happens when I have headphones in or using Bluetooth headphones. So I have to close the app and reopen it in order to listen to my music whilst playing a mobile game. No clue if there's an option to make this not happen or if it's just a bug in the software.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2017 9:18 PM in response to MikeeW

I have the exact same problem. Except it happens whenever I have a game app already opened, start playing music, than switch to or open the game from my home screen. The music than stops abruptly. Doesn't matter if the silent switch is off. It especially happens when I have headphones in or using Bluetooth headphones. So I have to close the app and reopen it in order to listen to my music whilst playing a mobile game. No clue if there's an option to make this not happen or if it's just a bug in the software.

Apr 4, 2017 3:40 PM in response to MikeeW

Looks like a bug because this behaviour isn't consistent. It happens every now and again. Tried to restart the phone and now its playing in the background while I'm typing this. It could be due to memory but the problem wasn't fixed even after removing all the running apps in multitasking pane. Must be a bug. At least now I know how to get back background music play.

Aug 25, 2012 7:30 PM in response to MikeeW

Actually, in my experience - if you are using the music app and then switch to another app - the music may stop ever so briefly - and I mean for about a second - and then it will start playing again. That split second of stoppage is just because the device is switching to another app and may be short on memory - at least that's my assumption. Otherwise, the music should continue to play.

The built in music app should run in the background as do radio apps like Pandora, iHeart Radio, TuneIn Radio. Those apps should continue to run in the background when you switch apps. They are some of the few apps that really do run in the background in iOS.

Aug 25, 2012 7:35 PM in response to Demo

Thinking a bit more, I believe that I'm half-right. Turn on Pandora and then open something like CNN or even Safari. Music continues. However, touch a news story that has a video with sound. That's when Pandora stops and it does not restart until you open it again and manually restart it.

When I was younger, I was real fast. Now I'm half-fast!

Nov 5, 2013 7:26 PM in response to MikeeW

So I don't know about the ipad but as far as my iphone 4 i have had the same problem. Sometimes opening apps my music will stop and other times opening the same apps it will continue playing. I have found that if you close all of the apps, then play music, then reopen the desired app, the music will continue playing. (for the iphone 4 this means at the home page double click the home button then hold your finger on the apps on the bottom until they shake and hit the minus sign)

Hope this helps

Aug 16, 2016 4:28 AM in response to MikeeW

What I did was I selected my music then I opened the calculator app which was the app that I wanted to use while playing my music, the music shut down as usual but rather than leave the calculator to press play again on the music app, I pulled up the menu from the bottom and I pressed play there while on the calculator app. After the second time it played with no further interruption. I hope it works for you..

Sep 17, 2016 2:21 AM in response to IIIDaTRUTHII

Well, the original post was four years ago, but other people have posted more recently, so ... in iOS10 I'm finding that sometimes Music playback stops when I leave the Music app. I don't mean go to another app - I mean I press the home button to go to the main screen on my iPhone, and the music stops playing. I can swipe up and press play to resume music that way, and go back to the home screen with music continuing. I can also open the Music app and press play again, and sometimes if I leave the app the music will stop, sometimes not.

This doesn't consistently happen. Thus far it's "only" happened to me with a Bluetooth speaker, but 90% of my music listening is through a Bluetooth speaker.

I listen to podcasts (through Overcast) more than music, and this hasn't happened at all (yet?) with podcasts.

Music stops when open apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.