Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help in retrieving scanned documents while in Word

We have an HP scan/print/fax printer. When I scan documents, I file them in my Documents file. They appear there as pdf's. When I'm in Word and try to bring one of those scanned documents into what I'm working on, I get the notification box that asks me what I am converting this file from. I've tried all the choices there and none produce anything more than garbled stuff. And PDF is not one of the choices. I'm probably showing my inexperience in working with pdf's, but in any event I'd appreciate help on this. I don't recall having this problem when in past years I used the Scanner and Camera Wizard with (I believe) a Windows PC I had then (I thought maybe I'd used it with this two-year-old MacPro, but I can't find it through Finder; maybe it's strictly a Windows program?).

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 25, 2012 7:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2012 7:57 PM

I don't know of any way to insert a pdf file into a Word document - you need to save it to an image format from your scanner (jpg, tiff, etc.) and then you'll be able to insert it into Word.

Clinton

10 replies

Aug 25, 2012 8:08 PM in response to JimPfromNH

What version of Word are you using? I just tried it on my system. Opened a new word doc, select Insert from the menu and then File then selected a PDF and clicked Insert and that files text came into the Word Doc.

Just tried it again and now I get gibberish.

Must be in the way the PDF was created. Thje one that inserted was created on a Windows PC using I think CutePDF. the one that inserted as gibberish was an Apple KB PDF.

Just tried it on Word 2000 on PC and get the same gibbrish.

Aug 25, 2012 8:19 PM in response to JimPfromNH

You really need something like Acrobat Pro to do what you're trying to do - with it you can run OCR on a scanned document and save it in Word format. There may be some less expensive apps out there that will OCR your document and save as text format - there's something called PDFpenPro that would do what you need - and it's less expensive than Acrobat Pro...

Clinton

Need help in retrieving scanned documents while in Word

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.