Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change ipad default location??

I've moved (9 months ago) and my iPad doesn't know it. Surely there's a way to update it? I'm 75 mikes from where I used to be. Not even the same area code.

Posted on Aug 25, 2012 9:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2012 9:18 PM

If you have a WiFi only iPad, it gets its location from your WiFi router. Until your router makes its way into the database, there's not much you can do. I've heard that if an iPhone accesses the internet through the router, it will speed up the process.

11 replies

Aug 26, 2012 4:31 AM in response to Jennings Heilig

Jennings Heilig wrote:

Uh, okay, so my Airport Xtreme is living in the same house as the iPad. The ISP it's connected to is different, so why does it still think it's 75 miles away??

Because the location of the router is not in Apple's location database. The fact that it's in the same place as your iPad is irrelevant as you have an iPad with no location capabilities of its own.

Nov 14, 2012 4:18 PM in response to Jennings Heilig

Remember the big scandal about iPhones, iPads, etc. reporting router and cell tower locations? And people wigged out and thought Apple was spying on them? This is part of that issue.

If you have turned off location reporting on your iPad or your Airport Extreme then the WiFi database cannot be updated. If you left the settings alone eventually the new location of your router will be reported and added to the database.

There is no "default" location of the iPad. Drive to a place with a free hotspot and sign on to it and it will report the correct location.

If you have a WiFi+3G/4G iPad it will use the GPS chip and not have this problem.

How do I change ipad default location??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.