Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

On the 2012 MBP-Retina there is no Eject key; what happens to those shortcuts?

I love the shortcuts that allow one to sleep or shutdown the computer using just a keystroke. But my new MBP with Retina display has no SuperDrive and thus no Eject key. I expect the same is true for MacBook Air. Are there alternative shortcuts for sleep and shutdown?

Time Machine-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Aug 26, 2012 4:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2012 4:39 AM

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4083883?start=0&tstart=0

Hope this helps.

3 replies

Aug 28, 2012 7:48 AM in response to dominic23

Thanks for the link. That approach (press the power key) is helpful, but then requires one to use the mouse to select 'sleep' instead of shutdown. I liked the single keystroke approach, where I could sleep the computer quickly without the mouse.

For Shutdown this sequence is acceptable:

1. Power

2. Enter

This sequence works for Sleep:

1. Power

2. Tab

3. Tab

4. Enter

and may be the best approach unless someone finds an alternative hotkey.

Sep 5, 2012 8:54 PM in response to dfkotz

For sleep in two keys:

1) Power

2) "S"

Guess what this does [HINT: what starts with "R" in that menu]:

1) Power

2) "R"

🙂

Consistent keyboard shortcuts are probably my favorite feature of Macs. The Power Button + (Enter, R, S, ESC) trick is ages old.

There are loads of great shortcuts. Try holding your Option(Alt) key and pressing the function keys up top. Handy if you're a tech or tweaker.

The single most useful shortcut though is ... drumroll ... "Command + Spacebar" (as long as you only have one keyboard language setup)

=Josh

On the 2012 MBP-Retina there is no Eject key; what happens to those shortcuts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.