Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.8.1 Problem - All Mail Stored 'On My Mac' Is Empty After Upgrading To 10.8.1

Hi,

I'm running a 15" retina MBP 2.3Ghz Quad Core i7. Just upgraded to 10.8.1 last night. Woke up this morning (GMT) and started up Mail.

Problem:

All of the mail stored 'On My Mac' has disappeared. That's literally thousands and thousands of very well organised emails relating to hundreds of different companies, projects, issues, people etc that are critical to the running of my business.

Everything in the inbox is still there.

Everything in flagged is still there.

Everything in draft is still there.

Everything in the sent items is still there.

Everything in junk is still there.

Everything stored 'On My Mac' has disappeared! 😮

The folder structure for 'On My Mac' is still intact but the folders are empty.

Main Work IMAP Account:

On further investigation, it seems that all of the emails for my main IMAP work email account have been moved to the 'Deleted Items' folder for that account. When I press 'Show' to reveal the list of bespoke folders for that account, there are now 5,702 emails in the 'Deleted Items' folder. It definitely contains emails that I have previously filed 'On My Mac'.

Also, bizarrely, the Junk E-mail folder for the main IMAP account has a count of 5,791 yet there are not 5,791 emails in it.

Other Email Accounts:

However, the 'On My Mac' section contained all my emails from my .Mac account and Hotmail etc and they have all disappeared as well, so this is not just limited to one specific IMAP account.

Other Info:

Strangely, any previous email that was managed by email rules, is still available and in the right folder... i.e. all my important emails are gone but for example, all the automated emails sent from LinkedIn that were managed by rules are in the right folder 'On My Mac' and pre-date last night's upgrade. It looks as if all the email not managed by rules (which is 99% of it) has been moved to Deleted Items in one big unsorted list which will take literally days to re-sort.

Please can someone help. This is a pretty horrific situation to wake up to.

Thanks,

Clown Guy

(not really laughing that much at the moment!)

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Aug 26, 2012 2:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply
17 replies

Aug 26, 2012 3:24 AM in response to mende1

Hi mende1,

The emails are still located on my machine. I did have some hope considering that the folder structure was still intact.

I can now import the various mailboxes back into the 'On My Mac' section, but do you know a way of being able to import all of them at once and not each mailbox separately? I have hundreds of folders and am trying to avoid doing this one at a time... although if that is the only route then it's much better than now email at all!

Thanks,

Clown Guy

Aug 26, 2012 3:34 AM in response to mende1

2 more things...

I now can't use the 'Delete Mailbox...' option having imported one of the mailboxes that I just imported to test the process. How do I delete the mailbox? Is it OK to go to User / Library / Mail / V2 / Mailboxes and simply delete the corresponding mailbox?

Also,

Do I need to type anything else in Terminal, to reset or undo the previous command that was typed in?

Thanks mende1,

Clown Guy

(getting happier)

Aug 26, 2012 4:29 AM in response to mende1

One final point to note, Mail won't let me import them as .mbox files. I have to start by trying to import .mbox files, but then it says 'error' when I select the appropriately named mbox folder. I then have to select Apple Mail instead and the navigation dialogue brings up the same list of sub-folders, but I simply select the sub-folders I want to import without navigating away from that list item, then it works OK. If I were to navigate away from that list item which displays sub-folders, it would be replaced with a big icon of a mailbox instead and would remove the ability for me to import the sub-folders. Were I to click on the icon and try to import, it wouldn't import.

In effect, I'm having to fool Mail into allowing me to see the contents of a .mbox folder then changing to importing Apple Mail in order to select the sub-folders.

A bit weird but the only work around. POssibly because they are already V2 folders?

Clown Guy

Aug 26, 2012 4:47 AM in response to mende1

Totally understand the point and I agree... it's just that I'm having to follow this workaround as the only way of importing the emails. I can't import them as .mbox files.

I'll persevere but at least I now have a solution that will only take a relatively short amount of time and the feelings of abject horror have subsided!

Thanks once again.

10.8.1 Problem - All Mail Stored 'On My Mac' Is Empty After Upgrading To 10.8.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.