Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I connect my iPod Shuffle (2nd Generation) to charge it, the light flashes orange 3 times then goes out.

When I connect my iPod Shuffle (2nd Generation) to charge it, the light flashes orange 3 times then goes out. Has anybody got an idea what this might be?

iPod shuffle, Windows XP

Posted on Aug 26, 2012 4:55 AM

5 replies

Aug 28, 2012 4:50 AM in response to Matches57

Flashing orange means Do Not Disconnect. I don't think the "three times" has a particular meaning when it is connected to the computer. That may just be the time it takes for a failure to occur. This article covers the status light behavior for the 2nd gen shuffle

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1407

What happesn after it stops flashing? Is the shufffle still seen in iTunes or by Windows?

Sep 12, 2012 3:22 AM in response to Matches57

If you paid someone to do it (any internal repair on a 2nd gen shuffle), it would probably cost more than the $49 to get a new 4th gen shuffle.

If you are handy with fixing electronics, you can buy a replacement battery (with tools) for under $10 on eBay. There are online guides on doing the repair, for example

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/iPod_Shuffle_2nd_Generation

I'm not sure it's the battery, though... I have a 2nd gen shuffle with a dead (or nearly dead) battery. It works as expected while connected (it's recognized by iTunes), but the battey does not hold any charge, so as soon as I disconnect it from power, it is completely dead. (I've been meaning to try the repair myself; just have not gotten around to it.)

So your shuffle's problen could be something else, like the logic board.

Dec 5, 2012 1:25 AM in response to Matches57

Just to throw my 2 cents in on how I fixed mine - also posted on another thread. Regarding the issue of the orange light blinking 3 times - a few years back I think I resolved it by playing around with the charging/sync plug that goes into the 2nd gen shuffle. The plug pin itself had loose parts.

Recently it played up again and I wasn't unable to fix it, so I bought a replacement cable from eBay for $3 and now it works perfectly. I wonder if there was a production/design problem with some of these plugs as it seems to be a common issue with the 2g, although there could be many reasons for the failure.

The replacement plug does not have a silly cradle. If you're still having problems, then for a few dollars/pesos/pounds I think it is worth a shot! Long live the 2G Shuffle!! Good luck!

Sep 8, 2015 4:24 AM in response to cameronb2

Just in case someone is reading this thread.

A poster in another thread wrote that he reset his and it started charging again.

My lady was trying to charge hers in an iPhone 5 charger and an iPad 4 charger.

Bother were blinking three time then nothing.

I tested on an ORICO usb hub and it blinked about 10 times with me gently wiggling the iPod i its charger to see if its was loose.

It wasn't loose as far as I could tell.

And it seems to be charging now.

huh

When I connect my iPod Shuffle (2nd Generation) to charge it, the light flashes orange 3 times then goes out.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.