Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will Motion 5 work with 32 bit macbook pro

I am intrested in buying motion 5 for my macbook pro 5,4. I read the requirements on the app store and was dissapointed when I saw that my macbook pro was 32 bit. I then went to motion 5 website and didn't see a 64 bit requirement, check for yourself http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/motion/specs/#system-requirements. So if anyone knows if Motion 5 will work on my macbook pro for sure please let me know.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 26, 2012 8:57 AM

3 replies

Aug 27, 2012 12:38 AM in response to Macinsane02

I won't say yes or no... I don't know for sure. As for 32 bit mode -- I **believe** you can start that machine up in 64-bit mode by holding down the 6 and 4 keys on startup (you can let go when you see the wait cursor.) You can check to see if your machine is running 64-bit by going to the Apple Menu > About this Mac > dig down until you get the Hardware/Network/Software data in the left column. Select "Software". Check to see if you have:

64-bit Kernal and Extensions: Yes

[You can go back to 32 bit mode by holding down - you guessed it - the 3 & 2 keys on startup]

I also believe that the GPUs on all those mid 09 MBPs (NVIDIA 9400M/9600M) are compatible with FCPX/Motion.

So if you can get started up in 64-bit mode and the gpu is ok with Apple (and you have Snow Leopard, at least), you should be able to run this software on that machine.

You should get another opinion though. I'm not all that familiar with MBPs.

Aug 28, 2012 9:21 AM in response to Macinsane02

From the App Store, Motion 5 is 64 bit:

User uploaded file

How to tell if your Intel-based Mac has a 32-bit or 64-bit processor:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3696?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Your MacBook Pro is 64 bit...

User uploaded file

Your Video card it compatible but it uses the bare minimal, 256 of video ram (to run Motion 5), 512MB VRAM is recommend to run Motion 5.

User uploaded file

Your MacBook Pro can run 8MB of ram. Your best bet is to max out your ram. Motion 5 will eat up all of the ram installed into your MacBook Pro. (You'll get better preformance with more ram with Motion 5.)

Will Motion 5 work with 32 bit macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.