Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Firewall Settings & System Profiler-Firewall Settings Don't Match

Firewall Settings & System Profiler-Firewall Settings Don't Match, and I want to remove applications from the Firewall Settings, but they don't show up in the System Preferences, Firewall Settings!

1) I want to remove the "com.devon-technologies.thinkpro2" -- I don't even have this software installed anymore.

2) Why does System Profiler report that Stealth Mode is "No" when System Preferences has Stealth Mode checked?

How do I change the Firewall Settings if they don't appear in the System Prefereces Firewall Settings??

System Profiler-Firewall Settings:

User uploaded file

System Preferences-Firewall Settings:

User uploaded file

Thanks for any help!

mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2.66 GHz, 8 GB, 500 GB

Posted on Aug 26, 2012 8:50 AM

4 replies

Aug 26, 2012 9:35 AM in response to linda2009

Okay, I found an answer to the Stealth Mode "No" issue in System Profilier. It's a SL bug.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3052 At least I know and there's nothing I can do about it.

What about removing applications in the list (System Profilier's list). These are old and obsolete applications. Does anyone know of a way to remove them from the list?

Thanks.

Aug 26, 2012 11:04 AM in response to linda2009

The list there is secondary. You must have remnants of them still on your drive. Once you remove them, the list will be updated...perhaps after a reboot or logging out and back in. Get EasyFind, set to scan all files, case insensitive, invisible, package contents. Enter the name of the application, the developer's name or anything else that might bring something up. You can use the Destroy or Move to Trash function directly from EF. But if it's a system owned file, that won't work; you will have to use Reveal in Finder, select the file, and move to Trash, after authenticating.

http://www.devontechnologies.com/products/freeware/

There are uninstaller programs, but they are mostly unable to find everything. Also, check for an uninstaller for the application itself. It might be in the package contents, or you might need to re-open the .dmg to get to it, if there is one.

But watch out for removing shared libraries, that is, files which are used by more than one application.

Aug 26, 2012 12:21 PM in response to WZZZ

I tried EasyFind, but it doesn't find anything with "devon" or "thinkpro"

But, even if I still had the program installed, what if I didn't want to "allow all connections" for it (or another program)? Is there no way to adjust the Firewall Settings? Or, do the Firewall Settings in System Profiler just not matter?

Should I only care about what the System Preferences - Firewall Settings report? (There is no Devon listing there.)

I've heard about Little Snitch, but I'm not sure I want to install another program - Does Snow Leopard really need another "firewall" type program?

Thank you for the suggestion.

Aug 26, 2012 12:42 PM in response to linda2009

If you are concerned about security, you should get Little Snitch. It's worth every penny. I don't have the latest version 3.0 which now has an incoming firewall, so I don't know what to say about that. Outgoing connections are what's most important to me in LS.

Again, the listing in Profiler is secondary. You don't make changes there; you need to get to the settings in System Preferences>Security>Firewall.

For EasyFind, I'm seeing that the full name of that application is Devonthink Pro Office, so try entering "Devonthink," one word. Try All words, Phrase and Unix Wildcards also.

Firewall Settings & System Profiler-Firewall Settings Don't Match

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.