Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extreme lag since updating to 10.8.1

I have a Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 with 8GB of ram that ran like a champ up until the very latest update of Mountain Lion 10.8.1. Since then, it is agonizingly sluggish.

The mouse always plays 'catch-up' with me if I move it around too quickly, using the Internet is an exercise in frustration as my Mini just sits and thinks about the link I've just clicked on, then finally begins loading the page but at such a slow rate that I'm almost convinced I'm back in the bad old days of 56k dial-up (heck even that seemed more peppy and responsive now that I think about it). Once a page begins loading, I can't do *anything* with my Mini till it is finished, usually between 30-45 seconds later. It is the same whether I'm in my favorite browser Chrome, or Safari or Firefox or even Aurora.

Don't even get me started on the near-tears I'm brought to when I fire up iTunes or iPhoto. 😢 Is my extreme performance degradation isolated or is there something going on with anyone else?

Oh yes, I have ran Disk Utility and it states everything is fine. I make sure I run only 1 app at a time just to make sure system resources aren't being hosed for some reason, but I've ran out of ideas.

I just don't understand why a simple update would have so completely ruined my user experience? Mountain Lion 10.8.0 was just fine.

Help!

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Aug 26, 2012 10:34 AM

4 replies

Aug 26, 2012 12:03 PM in response to jerry7171

Hello Jerry,

See if the Disk is issuing any S.M.A.R.T errors in Disk Utility...

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH7029

Open Activity Monitor in Applications>Utilities, select All Processes & sort on CPU%, any indications there?

How much RAM & free space do you have also, click on the Memory & Disk Usage Tabs.

Open Console in Utilities & see if there are any clues or repeating messages when this happens.

In the Memory tab, are there a lot of Pageouts?

User uploaded file

Aug 26, 2012 12:48 PM in response to jerry7171

I've had the same experience since upgrading from Lion to Mountain Lion on my late 2011 Mac MIni. With 10.8.1 it just got worse. So I did a backup and then a web restore to a fresh Lion 10.7.4 and now it is nice and snappy once again with all my junk reinstalled.

I also cloned that 10.8.1 to an exterior drive beforehand and will keep tabs on the updates to see if it improves.

Aug 27, 2012 1:15 PM in response to BDAqua

Hello BDAqua,

I've ran Disk Utility and everything including S.M.A.R.T. checked out fine.

Here is a screen shot of the Activity Monitor as it appeared just a moment ago...

User uploaded file

The first thing to stand out to me from what you asked is the large number of Page outs.

Here is the Disk Usage tab view...

User uploaded file

Finally, here is the Console view but I haven't the foggiest idea of what I should be looking for...

User uploaded file

So far, I've locked onto the Page outs and will start researching what that is referring to and go from there. If you or anyone else has any ideas or suggestions, I'm all ears here!

Thanks!

Extreme lag since updating to 10.8.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.