Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMac 5.1 with Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 Ghz processor is grinding slowly to a halt. How can I speed it up?

I've owned this computer for a few years and it's probably nearing its replacement date. However, it's only in use as a general household computer and I think there must be some way to clean it up and speed it up a bit. The only positive step I have taken is to move my iTunes library onto an outboard hard drive (also in use as storage for Time Machine backups). I've never really known as much about Macs as I should, having always used PCs at work, so feel free to explain things to me like I'm dumb. What are the basic steps I can take to stop it taking 3 minutes to open iTunes, or freezing up if more than 4 apps are running at once? I've always heard that Macs were pretty well virus-proof, but what are the chances that I have a virus? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 26, 2012 11:00 AM

8 replies

Aug 26, 2012 12:16 PM in response to Roy Sweeting

Great help so far! 🙂

Hello, see how many of these you can answer...

See if the Disk is issuing any S.M.A.R.T errors in Disk Utility...

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH7029

Open Activity Monitor in Applications>Utilities, select All Processes & sort on CPU%, any indications there?

How much RAM & free space do you have also, click on the Memory & Disk Usage Tabs.

Open Console in Utilities & see if there are any clues or repeating messages when this happens.

In the Memory tab, are there a lot of Pageouts?

User uploaded file

My iMac 5.1 with Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 Ghz processor is grinding slowly to a halt. How can I speed it up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.