Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder resets itself to default local folder when I delete a folder from a server. How can I stop this?

Hello there,

At work I use a Mac Pro (like this one: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_pro/specs/mac-pro-quad-core-2.8-2008-s pecs.html)... and I have a very weird problem that is really annoying.

I don't have the information (but I can get it tomorrow) on the operating system or any information of the server I am having the issues with. But I was hoping maybe some one else with the same issue might have the answer without all of that information.

We use the server to access, open, edit, save, delete, move, etc... all of the files we are currently working on. No files are ever transfered to our local computer's hardrive and then copied back to the server (don't ask me why, and don't tell me to do that, this is how it's done in the office, and this is what I have to do)...

The issue is this. When I have to delete a folder from the server, which is usually a folder within a folder, and maybe within another folder, and another, and another (meaning it takes me time to look for this), the Finder deltes the folder (and asks if I am sure I want to delete it, because it will be deleted forever since I am deleting it from the server)... and when I say yes, the Finder window that I am currently on (the folder which contains the folder that I am deleting) reverts back to the initial "device-folder" for my local mac pro... meaning the folder which is the main folder of that mac pro, where I can see the mac pro's hard drive, any external hardrives, any usb pen drives, any cds, etc...

So EVERY TIME I delete a folder on the server, which is more than 30 times a day, I get "kicked out" of the foler which contains the folder to be deleted, and gows back to tha "main" folder of my computer, so I have to go back to the server, back to the folder, and sometimes it is a folder, within a folder, within a folder, etc, etc, etc, ... and don't tell me the solution is to create a shortcut on my sidebar for that folder, because the folders are the jobs that I may be working on that day, so I could work on as many as 30 different folders per day, and I do have those in my sidebar, but it is still pretty annoying to have to go back to that folder.

One thing I noticed... SOMETIMES, not all the times... IF I delete two folders instead of one, it won't do it... or IF I drag the folder to the trash, instead of clicking on my "delete" icon on my finder's toolbar, it won't do it... but this is only SOMETIMES. So these are not the solutions either.

I can try to get a screen cap tomorrow of the issue, but if anyone has this same issue and knows how to fix it, plese let me know.

I will also try to get more info on my computers OS and the server.

Thank you,

MW

Posted on Aug 26, 2012 3:18 PM

There are no replies.

Finder resets itself to default local folder when I delete a folder from a server. How can I stop this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.