Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I safely upgrade to IOS 5.1.1 using an IPad 1?

I have an Ipad version 1 and am running IOS 4.3.3. My question is can I safely upgrade to IOS 5.1.1? There are a few apps I wanted to purchase that won't run on earlier versions. However, I hesitate because I've heard that there could be some issues. My IOS version now runs fine and I don't really need this update unless I feel it's not going to cause any issues. Please advise. Thanks!

iPad, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Aug 26, 2012 3:40 PM

13 replies

Aug 26, 2012 3:46 PM in response to lucin

There are no guarantees that come with any software upgrade. You have to remember that the majority of users that download iOS updates have great success with it.

There have been users of all three versions of iPads that have had issues with their upgrades. If you want to use those apps, then you have to make the decision to upgrade based on the desire to use those apps and any other features that will be available to you in the iOS.

Aug 26, 2012 4:20 PM in response to lucin

See

iOS 5: Updating your device to iOS 5

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4972

iOS: How to update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4623

If you are currently running an iOS lower than 5.0, connect to your computer & click on the "Update your device using iTunes".

Tip - You may need to disable your firewall and anitvirus software temporarily. Then download and install the iOS update. After you update to iOS 5.x, the next update can be installed via wifi (i.e., not connected to your computer).

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Aug 27, 2012 11:44 AM in response to lucin

lucin wrote:

Thanks, but I already know all this since I've done upgrades on my Ipad. I was looking for others who did upgrade using this version Ipad to see what happened for them.

I assume that you were responding to me - even though you directed the response to yourself ....

Now that you have two users that stated that they had no issues ... Do you feel better? Thats a pretty good sampling. Is that conclusive enough?

Aug 27, 2012 12:29 PM in response to lucin

The Apple Support Communities are an international user to user technical support forum. As a man from Mexico, Spanish is my native tongue. I do not speak English very well, however, I do write in English with the aid of the Mac OS X spelling and grammar checks. I also live in a culture perhaps very very different from your own. When offering advice in the ASC, my comments are not meant to be anything more than helpful and certainly not to be taken as insults.

I updated my iPad 2 to iOS 5.1.1 without any issues.

Aug 27, 2012 1:39 PM in response to lucin

I'm sorry if I replied to myself!!! I don't ask for advice very often and I do appreciate all of your answers. I am going to sync right now and will do the upgrade today. I'll report on how it goes too for others who might be leery about the update. I can't say the question is solved at this point, but do appreciate the help very much!

Can I safely upgrade to IOS 5.1.1 using an IPad 1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.