Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Backup - What is Backed up?

I understand that my iPhone is backed up to a file in Mac OS: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup but the size of the file is less than 1 GB whereas I have over 6 GB of Apps, Audio, Contacts, email etc on my iPhone - is the data compressed or exactly what is iPhone Backup backing up?

And does it make a difference if I sync most of my "stuff" via iCloud?

Thank you

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 26, 2012 4:49 PM

3 replies

Aug 26, 2012 7:25 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thank you for such a prompt response - but I still do not understand why my back up file is less than 1GB while my iPhone has over 6 GB of data.

Page 173-175 of the manual you referenced states that backing up to iCloud backs up

App data

But it does not say anything about backing up "apps" themselves.

Also, there seems to be a discrepany between what is backed up via a usb iTunes back up and an iCloud backup.

As stated in the kb article you listed

"Note: Keep in mind that iTunes Backup does not actually back up your movies, music, podcasts, and apps."

So I have to ask again - what exactly is backed up

by iTunes via usb

by iTunes via iCloud

And where exactly is my iPhone back up in ICloud - I can not find it

Thank you again.

Aug 27, 2012 6:00 AM in response to pachyx

Apps are not backed up. They are in your iTunes library and you can sync them to the phone or download them again.

There IS a difference between what is backed up to iCloud and what is backed up to your computer. Apps, music, podcasts and videos are NOT included in the backup on your computer. There is no need to include them in the backup because they are in your iTunes library on your computer already, and can just be resynced. iTunes purchased music, podcasts and videos are technically not backed up in iCloud either, because they can be restored from Apple's servers when you restore, but for all practical purposes they are included because they will be restored when you restore an iCloud backup.

Non-iTunes music such as CD rips and MP3s from non-Apple sources should also be in your iTunes library on your computer, and can be restored from it by syncing. They are NOT included in the iCloud backup, however, unless you enable iTunes Match.

You cannot see the iCloud backup. You can only Restore it.

iPhone Backup - What is Backed up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.