Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to install Classic from retail OS9 disk to G5 w/OS 10.4?

I have a old PowerMac (aluminum tower) G5 Quad 2.5GHz that had a drive totally crash and burn. I lost everything. I had backup software that told me all was backed up and safe, but when I tried to restore it, the backup software hadn't done any automatic backups since 2011, even though it said it had backed everything up... OUCH, I lost an entire year's work of work! I debated getting rid of the G5, but instead I got a new drive, but how do I install OS 9 (Classic) on there once OS 10.4 is installed? I have bought retail versions OS 9, 9.1, 9.2, 9.2.2 disks, but none will boot my G5 up so I can install Classic again. All OS 9 discs say to hold down the "C" key to boot up on them, but my G5 ignores all of them and boots off the installed 10.4 instead. What gives with that? It's been so long since I had to go through the OSX and Classic install, I totally forgot how I first did it and don't have the original discs anymore except my Tiger restore disks.

I've even erased the drive and attempted to boot of all the OS 9 discs, but it just won't boot up, no matter what I try. Am I missing a step here or something?

I use the G5 for graphics and run a lot of software from pre-Intel days. I can perform the work on my iMac, but I like the older software better, and would like to get it back to where it was before my drive crashed.

Is there anyone who can run me through this step by step, or are my G5 days truly numbered? Thanks

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Aug 26, 2012 7:37 PM

11 replies

Oct 16, 2015 6:21 AM in response to Niel

Niel, thanks for the quick response, but unfortunately my other Mac is an Intel iMac and won't let me do anything remotely associated with OS 9 or Classic at all. All the discs I bought off eBay said they'd work on my Mac, but evidently they don't do it for the G5. I don't know a soul with an older Mac or I'd have borrowed their disc or had them e-mail me the Applications and System folders from their computer.

I appreciate your effort, but unless I can find someone with OS 9 that will work on my system, it looks as if I'm kinda screwed! lol Thanks though...

Oct 16, 2015 6:21 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for the additional comment and tip, but although there is a "System Folder" and "Applications (Mac OS 9)" folder on my OS 9.2 install disc, when I copied them over it wouldn't do anything. With those folders on my main drive I once again tried to install OS 9, but Classic wouldn't recognize the folders. Did I do something wrong? The system won't recognize my main drive as a start up disk unless I have OS 10 installed. I don't understand why I can't boot of any of my OS 9 discs unless I have to get one specifically from a G5... if that's the case I've wasted lots of money buying the wrong discs. I may have to install OS 9 drivers, but if I can't boot off OS 9 discs I don't have access to it's drivers, right?

Aug 26, 2012 9:48 PM in response to Community User

It does no good to copy them from the CD, they must be copied from some actual intall of os9 to a Hard drive. 🙂

if I can't boot off OS 9 discs I don't have access to it's drivers, right?

Correct, but you don't actually need OS9 Drivers installed on the Hard Dive to use OS9 in Classic mode from OSX.

I bet you could find an old Mac with OS9 Installed on it for free or next to nothing to solve this problem! 😉

Aug 27, 2012 12:33 AM in response to Community User

The system won't recognize my main drive as a start up disk unless I have OS 10 installed.

The G5 is capable of using Mac OS 9 applications within the Mac OS X "Classic" environment provided with Mac OS X 10.4.11 "Tiger" and lower ("Classic" is not supported starting with Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard").

It cannot boot into Mac OS 9.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/faq/powermac-g5-versions-macos -x-macos-9-windows.html

Install Mac OS 9 to use Classic applications

Mac OS: Reblessing Old System Folder After Clean Install

Tutorial: Installing Classic over a current Mac OS X installation - CNET

Oct 16, 2015 6:21 AM in response to japamac

To BDAqua:

Thanks for the assist, but I have been trying to install from bootable installer CDs. Each of them say "to start up from this CD, hold down the 'C' key as the computer starts up." I just can't get my G5 to boot up on any of them. It does boot fine from my Tiger installer though. I have a feeling I may need install disks from a G5?

To japamac:

Thanks to you as well for your suggestion, but I am on a PowerMac G5 (non-Intel) with OS 10.4.11 already. I use my iMac for applications needing 10.5 and above.

(I'm having trouble responding... getting an error message, so I'm trying to respond to both at once.)

Oct 16, 2015 6:21 AM in response to japamac

Thank you so much for your efforts, but what is a "blessed" OS 9 system folder, and how do I get one? I just spoke with Apple support and tried booting off an OS 9 install disc with the "Option" key depressed hoping to get it to boot up on the OS 9 disc, but no luck. Do I really have to buy another computer with OS 9 installed and swap out the hard drive to get this accomplished? I've already spent so much time and money on this that I'm wondering if I shouldn't just sell this thing... even though it's been a great computer.

Thank you very much for your suggestions... and everyone else who has tried to help... I appreciate it!

Chuck

Aug 27, 2012 4:36 PM in response to Community User

but what is a "blessed" OS 9 system folder, and how do I get one?

The original Macintosh icon should appear on the System Folder icon of a blessed system folder.

A System folder with no icon on it isn't blessed and won't work.

I already posted these links before. If you don't read them, you'll never move forward.

Mac OS: Reblessing Old System Folder After Clean Install

Tutorial: Installing Classic over a current Mac OS X installation - CNET

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/macos9/nR2QQCKaCFA

Do I really have to buy another computer with OS 9 installed and swap out the hard drive to get this accomplished?

As Niel, the first responder said, without a G5 specific OS 9 software disc, you'll need a drive with OS 9 previously installed on it.

(Actually, to be real specific, a Power Mac G5, an iBook, or an iMac G5 that shipped with Mac OS X 10.3.4 through 10.3.7' the Additional Software & Apple Hardware Test disc is where the OS 9 files are.)

Note that you would need to know what OS your machine originally shipped with.

Either that or the work arounds from the links that I have posted.

http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=454796&seqNum=5

How to install Classic from retail OS9 disk to G5 w/OS 10.4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.