Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I install an app from the App Store to all the iMacs in my lab?

Hi,

I'm using ARD to administer an iMac lab. I know how to install packages using ARD, but App Store apps require an Apple ID. I want to install free educational apps (not paid) on every machine in my lab.

• Should I make a new Apple ID for myself as administrator, or for the school? Or can I use my own?
  • How do I automatically install an App Store app on every computer? Do I have to manually enter my Apple ID and password on every machine or is there an automated way, as with packages?

The current version of ARD (3.6) doesn't seem to have been updated with the App Store in mind. There should be a way to enter my credentials and automatically "sign" the apps, then deploy them with one click like regular packages.

Or, is there a limit to the number of seats that can run an app downloaded under one ID, even with free apps? In that case, how the heck do I get a free app installed on every machine?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted on Aug 26, 2012 8:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2012 8:58 AM

I'm in the same boat as you -- except that I manage both a school lab (volunteer job) and macs in the enterprise (pay job). What I think we need is the Education Volume Purchasing Program

http://www.apple.com/education/volume-purchase-program/faq.html

Unfortunately this all seems a little rough around the edges -- for example, I have found updates for AppStore apps on the support.apple.com updates download site, but then when I install them via ARD they don't actually update the software. (The AppStore icons still show as needing the updates, and the version info reports the old version.) The documentation is also vague about which AppleID to use in which circumstance. I think they just haven't finished thinking through the implications of the various procedures and policies upon the various kinds of customers. When we deployed Mountain Lion on the school lab, we made an install usb and went around and installed it on each computer -- and it appears that you are on the honor system as far as paying for all of the licenses that you install. We did! But they appear to have no way to enforce it.

So far, I have only deployed 9 Lion macs in my day job, and our "solution" to the AppStore showing updates problem has been to drag the AppStore icon off of the users' docks so they don't see them!

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2012 8:58 AM in response to WormInTheApple

I'm in the same boat as you -- except that I manage both a school lab (volunteer job) and macs in the enterprise (pay job). What I think we need is the Education Volume Purchasing Program

http://www.apple.com/education/volume-purchase-program/faq.html

Unfortunately this all seems a little rough around the edges -- for example, I have found updates for AppStore apps on the support.apple.com updates download site, but then when I install them via ARD they don't actually update the software. (The AppStore icons still show as needing the updates, and the version info reports the old version.) The documentation is also vague about which AppleID to use in which circumstance. I think they just haven't finished thinking through the implications of the various procedures and policies upon the various kinds of customers. When we deployed Mountain Lion on the school lab, we made an install usb and went around and installed it on each computer -- and it appears that you are on the honor system as far as paying for all of the licenses that you install. We did! But they appear to have no way to enforce it.

So far, I have only deployed 9 Lion macs in my day job, and our "solution" to the AppStore showing updates problem has been to drag the AppStore icon off of the users' docks so they don't see them!

Sep 6, 2012 10:05 AM in response to cathy fasano

My lab macs are registered under the same Apple ID. I create an automator application. I push the automator app thru ARD to a local admin desktop. I log on all lab macs to local admin.

Then thru ARD I launch the automator app. and wait. If you have large downloads, I recommend 4-5 cpus at a time. see attached picture for an example automator app. You will need to familarize yourself with automator, yet i hope this helps.

User uploaded file

Sep 11, 2012 8:58 PM in response to chicster

chicster wrote:

Many apps can just be file dropped in. For instance, when iMovie updated and all my Lion computers needed the update, I just updated one and then copied the program to the others with ARD. Many other apps are self contained and will work that way.

For the others, well....

same I have all my Apps on the ARD computer, and When there an update I copy the updated app to the other computers.
if that dosen't work, mid update, i'll pause the update, Find the update file on the computer, move it to the desktop, resume download, when the download completes I have the update on the desktop that I can push out to the other computers.

How can I install an app from the App Store to all the iMacs in my lab?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.