Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCal birthdays showing up twice?

Hello!

I have a problem where all birthdays on my Mac are showing up twice. This problem has occured only now. I've had iCloud and Mountain Lion since they came out. And I am using iOS 5 on my iPhone. The birthdays don't show up twice on my iPhone, only on my Mac in iCal. Also, not all of them show up twice. Only those in the future.

I don't synchronize my calendar or my contacts or anything of this kind through iTunes, I use iCloud for that. So how come they show up twice?

I hope someone can help me! I'd really appreciate that 🙂

Greetings

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 2:27 AM

16 replies

Jun 23, 2017 9:31 AM in response to Georgine Cheavens

Adding my experience here since the last comment in this thread is from 2014. This page from Apple helped me with HALF my problem by using the "Card --> Look for Duplicates" dropdown. Most importantly though for anyone having this problem is the part about how to backup your contacts, just to be safe: If you see duplicate contacts after setting up iCloud Contacts - Apple Support

After doing what it said there, I still had two sets of most of my contacts and two birthdays for every contact still having two sets. This article showed me how to manually fix this by selecting the two I needed merged and then using Shift-Command-L: How to Remove Duplicate Contacts on Your Mac

Easy but a bit time consuming to do manually if you've got a ton of contacts like I do. Hopefully the first article will do the trick for you so you don't need the second one. If not though, the key command to manually merge makes it fairly quick to fix.

Aug 31, 2012 10:41 AM in response to keg55

Alright now suddenly I have over 800 contacts. This explains the birthdays. They are all multiplied by 4!

When I am in the contacts app, in the bottom right corner of the left page, there are 3 buttons for different appearence of the page. When you click the one at the left it should say "All contacts, iCloud, Last import".

But "iCloud" appears twice, and I can not delete it. It says "iCloud" and then "All iCloud" underneath. Why is that?

I tried deleting some contacts, but when I delete one, then it deletes two of them. So when I delete the 3rd, it also deletes the 4th. I then have to undo every time, and then only the 4th would reappear. Very annoying!

I guess this is because it syncs twice with iCloud, and both times it syncs with it, it duplicated them. So that's 4 times.

I do not sync contacts through iTunes. I have all going through the iCloud. On my Mac I selected the contacts to sync with iCloud, and on the iPhone too. Is that how it should be? Or is that the reason why it's twice in the iCloud? Because if yes, how is it ment to sync between the Mac and the iPhone then?

This is so uber-complicated, especially because I didn't even do anything. I came back from holiday and that was it...

Thanks for all the help so far guys!

Sep 18, 2012 11:45 AM in response to Anon M

It sounds like you were/are having the same problem as me. I don't know if you got it worked out, but this is what I did based off a different discussion.

In iCal, birthdays were showing up twice for the same person on the same date. I went to Address Book (because birthdays are linked there and then displayed in iCal). In Address Book, I had two sets of addresses: "On my Mac" and "iCloud." I recently had merged all of my contacts to match up (can't remember how) because under "All Contacts" on my iPhone people were showing up more than once. So, all of my contacts were the same "On my Mac" and on "iCloud." Because my iPhone uses the iCloud contacts, I simply clicked on the first contact under "On my Mac" and pressed Shift and clicked on the last contact to select all of them. (Select all didn't work. I made it select both sets of addresses.) Then I pressed the Delete key and they are all gone.

I went back to iCal and now my contacts show up once. I hope this helps!

Sep 29, 2012 8:24 AM in response to Anon M

Anon M wrote:

Thanks for the tipp man, I tried this but unfortunately it didn't work 😟 Plus, when I rechecked it, it gave me a message that a big mistake has happened and some stuff could be lost, but it didn't say why it happened nor it said how to solve it.

Start giving us actual error messages, your paraphrasing them makes it difficult to pin down what is happening, you did not get a message that "a big mistake has happened'

Jan 8, 2013 9:54 PM in response to Csound1

I had this problem, but what was showing up were contact birthdays from my Google Calendar account. I noticed the duplicate entries weren't exactly the same. One had a note about it being the contact's birthday, the other had an alert for the day before the event. That might be why there was two entries, since they are slightly different for some reason. Anyway, I got rid of the dupicates by removing the Google Calendar account. I then switched off the default notification for all day events and closed Cal. I then re-opened Cal, and re-added the Google account. I did not use the account add wizard to also set up contacts, messages, etc. This got my GCal back in Cal, without the duplicate contact birthdays. Not sure if all of those steps were needed, or if they will work for anyone else, but I figured I'd share.

Also, if you have delegates (like I have my wife's Google calendar as a delegate in mine) you might get duplicate birthdays for contacts that you and your delegate have in common.

iCal birthdays showing up twice?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.