Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I would like to replace my old AE 802.11g with new version 802./11n - How do I connect

I have just bought a new Airport Express (802.11n wi-fi) and would like to use it as the base station in place of the older version (802.11g).

The old one to be used in another room connecting to my sound sytem as an extention to the new one.

Both of these AEs utilise different Aiport Utility (5.6 against 6.1).

Can anyone please give me some detailed explanations of how I can set-up these devices, if indeed they are possible.

Alan

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion, 500 GB ext.H/D

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 6:15 AM

6 replies

Aug 27, 2012 9:25 PM in response to ribbo39

Sorry, just to make sure: Do you want the older 802.11g Express just for iTunes streaming or (in addition) to extend the wireless range of the newer 802.11n Express? If it is the latter, you may want to reconsider doing so as the only way to extend with "mixed" base stations is with a Wireless Distribution System (WDS).

A WDS has two major disadvantages: 1) It can only operate in the 802.11g radio mode, basically negating the advantage of your 802.11n Express, and 2) For every base station added to the WDS, the overall bandwidth is cut in half. So starting with 54 Mbps (for 802.11g), your extended wireless network will be running around 25-27 Mbps.

Aug 27, 2012 11:48 PM in response to Tesserax

Hi Tesserax,

The old Airport Express, to me, is purely to stream music from my iTunes Library to my stereo system only.

The new AE will be next to my iMac for continued use of misic (to my sound system) if possible and also

for use with my wireless printer.

Looking at some of the replies I have found since my original request, it seems that I will be unable to

work it the way I thought it would be because to two are in-compatible.

Alan

Aug 28, 2012 9:27 PM in response to ribbo39

There shouldn't be any reason why you couldn't use both base station for streaming. The key is that in order for the older 802.11g Express to join the Wi-Fi network created by your new one, that network needs to run in a compatible mode for the older Express. By default, it should already do so.

To configure the old Express for iTunes, please check out this Apple Support article.

I would like to replace my old AE 802.11g with new version 802./11n - How do I connect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.