Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My macbook continually tries the wrong wifi router when I start it up. Is there anyway to prevent this?

Whenever I start up, my macbook goes to one of my neighbors wifi's which is painfully slow. Also, this is for my business and I don't want to be surfing thru other peoples routers... How do I get it to just connect on my network? (10.6.8 is my operating system)

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 7:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 8:32 AM

When you go into System Preferences, and click on Network, highlight wifi on the left, and click advanced. Does this show your network/router that you want to automatically connect to? If yes, click cancel, then see if "ask to join new networks" is checked. That will cause your system to join your defined network first, and will then ask, if it's not available, if you want to join another network.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2012 8:32 AM in response to donichigo

When you go into System Preferences, and click on Network, highlight wifi on the left, and click advanced. Does this show your network/router that you want to automatically connect to? If yes, click cancel, then see if "ask to join new networks" is checked. That will cause your system to join your defined network first, and will then ask, if it's not available, if you want to join another network.

My macbook continually tries the wrong wifi router when I start it up. Is there anyway to prevent this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.