Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does this apply to Mountain Lion 10.8.1?

Do we need this in Mountain Lion 10.8.1. ?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1), non-retina

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 8:46 AM

7 replies

Aug 27, 2012 9:34 AM in response to VoilaMagic

VoilaMagic wrote:

Great. How do I remove it (it's not located in the applications/utilities list), I installed it when the recent malware/hacking was in the press. It installed on Mountain Lion.

I'm guessing that your are referring to one of the Flashback Malware Removal Tools, but you didn't really tell us that.

If so, then it removed itself after checking and not finding anything. It's a one-time thing.

Also, Flashback has not been observed for several months now, so it's should probably not be of any concern to you. If Apple determines that you need it you will find it posted as a Software Update. There should be no need to download it again.

Aug 27, 2012 11:25 AM in response to MadMacs0

VoilaMagic wrote:

The dmg states "MalwareRemoval.dmg". I'm sure your explaination is correct, regardless of the .dmg name.

Actually, I'm not certain that it does. The Apple document HT5244 refers to a couple of Java updates for Snow Leopard and Lion as well as a standalone tool for Lion users that do not have Java installed. That tool can be downloaded from DL1517 and the file itself is called FlashbackMalwareRemover.dmg.

So you must have something else. I thought I had all such tools, but I can't find anything with that name on my hard drive and when I Google that term the only place I find it is your entry above. Any idea where you got it from?

Aug 27, 2012 1:50 PM in response to MadMacs0

I have 3 versions, I only download from apple.com. I hope they are all the same- just for different OS X versions.

For Four Macs (3 malware versions?), Here they are:

1. Snow Leopard, Macbook Pro The dmg is "MalwareRemoval.dmg" was downloaded from apple.com (2010 or 2011?).

2. Mountain Lion, iMac 27 The dmg "MalwareRemovalTool.dmg" was downloaded from apple.com (recently).

3. Mountain Lion Macbook Pro The dmg "FlashbackMalwareRemover.dmg" and "MalwareRemovalTool.dmg" was downloaded from apple.com (recently).

4. Lion Macbook Air ~ I used all three of these dmg versions, copied over from Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion computers. The documentation reads differently and apple.com states that if the App Store does not show updates, that we have to update manually, so, this is what I've done.

I am having some battery problems with my new Macbook Pro and the 2008 Macbook Air (speed/response problems), so I researched the Malware download, as an Apple person advised that some people use malware products that scan all files and it can drain the battery quickly. When I did this reasearch, I found this article and posed the question, as you see.

I do not see any of these in the Utilities nor Applications.

I'm weary of downloading. If Apple suggests something, I read about it and, usually, install it.

Thanks for your help, regardless.

4 macs with this malware ... thing.

Aug 27, 2012 3:48 PM in response to VoilaMagic

VoilaMagic wrote:

I have 3 versions, I only download from apple.com. I hope they are all the same- just for different OS X versions.

For Four Macs (3 malware versions?), Here they are:

1. Snow Leopard, Macbook Pro The dmg is "MalwareRemoval.dmg" was downloaded from apple.com (2010 or 2011?).

Ahh, memory lane. That came out in the Spring of 2011 to remove the MacDefender malware (which had a lot of other names) at the time. The only trace I can find was How to avoid or remove Mac Defender malware. It was in the Snow Leopard 10.6.7 time frame and Security Update 2011-003 was the next step which implemented a somewhat buggy XProtect System the was subsequently fixed by OS X 10.6.8. There are signatures in XProtect for all known variants of MacDefender and I believe the developers are mostly behind bars at this time, so it looks like the answer to your question is a definite no.

I do not see any of these in the Utilities nor Applications.

And the earlier version behaved exactly as I described for the Flashback versions. They do a scan and remove any of the malware they were programmed to find, then delete all traces of themselves. They aren't even installed in Applications or Utilities during the few seconds they are active, but are tucked away within the system.

I am having some battery problems with my new Macbook Pro and the 2008 Macbook Air (speed/response problems), so I researched the Malware download, as an Apple person advised that some people use malware products that scan all files and it can drain the battery quickly. When I did this reasearch, I found this article and posed the question, as you see.

Unlikely to be any form of malware. I suggest you start a new thread describing your issues in more detail and I'll guarantee you'll get more advice on how to clear this up than you can stand.

Does this apply to Mountain Lion 10.8.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.