Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't move files - creates alias instead

When I try to move a file/folder elsewhere, it creates and alias instead of moving the file.

Yes, the folder I'm working under is in the Applications directory. I understand that this was something new added to 10.7

The problem is, I'm working with MAMP and my localhost folder (htdocs) is placed by default in Applications/MAMP/htdocs. After developing a site I'm needing to move the files to a new folder on my computer for archives. This seems to work sometimes, but mostly an alias is created.

How do I get around this issue and successfully move files from my htdocs folder?

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 9:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 10:57 AM

If you hold the Command key down while moving, it will override the "Make Alias" automation and move the file instead. I don't know of any way to turn this "feature" off permanently, unfortunately, so you will have to hold Command each time you want to move a file of any type out of the Applications folder (or sub-folders).

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2012 10:57 AM in response to Vintage White

If you hold the Command key down while moving, it will override the "Make Alias" automation and move the file instead. I don't know of any way to turn this "feature" off permanently, unfortunately, so you will have to hold Command each time you want to move a file of any type out of the Applications folder (or sub-folders).

Jul 16, 2017 11:44 AM in response to VirtualPlay

VirtualPlay -

I found your answer elsewhere, but I like reinforcing my understanding, since I had a related issue with an update file getting deleted without it being specified to be deleted, so I'm going to rerun the process to be triple sure it wasn't an alias.

I'm curious, did you ever find find the way to turn this "feature" off permanently?

May 28, 2015 11:42 AM in response to DenverEric

Please give more details on what you are copying from and what you are copying to.

What are the permissions on the parent folder and file (Finder -> select parent folder -> Finder -> File -> Get Info)

Do you own the files or folder you are trying to move and to you own the destination folder?

Is the destination in the same file system or to an external disk or network mounted volume?

Can't move files - creates alias instead

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.