Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt Display cable WAY too sensitive...

Using 27" Thunderbolt display, with its built-in cable, with my MBR with OS Mountain Lion 10.8.1

I'm finding the cable WAY too sensitive, when plugged-in to my laptop... the slightest movement of my laptop (say, if I were re-positioning merely slightly on my desk), or the cable moving/being lightly bumped causes the Thunderbolt display to go black. Only when I unplug/re-plug the cabl, will the display come back.

I've unplugged/re-plugged the display twice now-- as well as reset the PRAM (on advice from Apple Support). Problem persists.

This is really annoying and not practical. I mean, I really can't move a single thing/re-adjust. The SLIGHTEST movement of the cable will cause a disconnect. This is not pragmatic-- in the real world, things move/get slighlty readjusted all the time, especially by nature of a laptop. Again, this is the lightest-feather-touch to the cable... not radical/jarring movements.

Yes, I am using both display and MBR on a flat, hard surface.

Do I happen to have a ultra-sensitive cable and/or thunderbolt port on my MBR... or is anyone else having this problem? Do i have a defective cable or port? should i take this to get serviced? or am i being way too expectant of how this should perform?

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 11:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2017 1:41 PM

I know it's been a LONG time, but I wanted to chime in and say the tape method worked well for me. However, I wrapped a small amount of clear packing tape around the entire male end (covering the top twice with the overlap). Now they appear normal, but fit much tighter, and seem to resist the touchy disconnections. Thanks!

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2017 1:41 PM in response to BeardyBoy Shong

I know it's been a LONG time, but I wanted to chime in and say the tape method worked well for me. However, I wrapped a small amount of clear packing tape around the entire male end (covering the top twice with the overlap). Now they appear normal, but fit much tighter, and seem to resist the touchy disconnections. Thanks!

Mar 27, 2017 1:54 AM in response to lucasp

The answer is as simple as it is unfortunate. The Thunderbolt plug and socket are badly designed. You know that as soon as you plug it in. It is loose and the plug and socket are not deep enough to properly engage with each other. Simple problem, but the solution requires imaginative, knowledgable design so I'm afraid you're not going to see a solution very soon. If I were a product design manager and a 'designer' showed me this flakey solution I'd fire them on the spot. Sounds like a case of marketing department being allowed to influence hardware design and I really hope that's correct because I'd hate to thing that that is the current level of Apple's product design department. Meanwhile, I move my iMac, my screen goes blank - I move my MBP and my external screen goes blank. "Welcome to the new age".

May 1, 2013 4:48 PM in response to tbirdvet

Any updates on this?

I have 7 topics bookmarked on this issue so that when I sit down at Apple tomorrow I can show them I'm not the only one with this issue. But same deal.....I called in and they have never heard of this?

Anyone walking near my desk, the slightest jiggle, anything dropped on my desk.....all my monitors flash on and off. Sometimes they all come back, sometimes not.

I have to "tap" on the cable or wiggle it around until the connection goes through. This is highly highly annoying and really it was only today that I decided to upgrade my laptop with external monitors ( never had a nead to).

So on the one hand its my fault for not testing this when I bought the MBPr last July. I hope they can get this fixed because I was really hoping to use additional screens.

Jun 18, 2013 9:43 AM in response to lucasp

Same problem here. I have a 2012 13" MBA and TB display and accidentally moving anything on the desk causes the display to disconnect. Seriously irritating. I guess one could troubleshoot by taking MBA to Apple Store. But is this the way they are supposed to operate or is this a problem particular to my configuration?

Jun 20, 2013 11:17 AM in response to arthung

For me DVI works ok, but the HDMI does not. I have to direct connect the HDMI cable to the other side instead of using the TB connection.

The one thing that has slightly worked for me is the cable cannot be on a flat surface. It has to "hang" down to put pressure on the input. Try to connect using TB but hang the adaptors so they fall off the side of your desk.

I took my HDMI adapter to an Apple store and walked around to try it out. Every single MBP was just as loose as mine. The adapter is simply too small and not in tolerance. The DVI is also not in tolerance but for some reason it works.

The only thing that has worked from an Apple point of view is that I am thinking I need a Mini instead for my desktop solution and just leave the laptop at home for home use or meetings.

Thunderbolt Display cable WAY too sensitive...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.