Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto (9.3.2) expectation of huge library - 200GB, 40,000 Pictures

I know iPhoto is supposed to be able to handle on order of 100,000 images, but my iPhoto Library just crossed 200GB and 40k pics. What should I realistically expect performance/corruption possibility-wise in the coming months? It already takes a good half-minute to load/quit. Should I bifurcate and start a fresh library (I was thinking maybe for the iPhone 5, I would). Anyone with suggestions, I'd appreciate them.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.2), i7, 8GB, 750GB

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 11:59 AM

5 replies

Aug 27, 2012 12:05 PM in response to Steven Richason

A lot will depend on your hardware, memory, system, free space available, etc. You have 8 GB memory which is very good. Keep a minimum of 25 GB of free space on your Mini to facilitate optimal system and application performance.

If you have the above you should have good performance from your library. 40 K photos isn't a large number anymore. Also be sure to have a backup strategy in place. An external HD coupled with Time Machine is a good backup plan.

OT

iPhoto (9.3.2) expectation of huge library - 200GB, 40,000 Pictures

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.