Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen recording becomes blurry after exporting to iMovie

After creating a screen recording using Quicktime (and the video is perfectly clear), I am trying to export to iMovie to edit the video more easily and to add an audio track. However, once the video is turned into an iMovie project, it is blurry. Still blurry after stabilization too. Please help!

iMovie '11, Mac OS X (10.7.4), Quicktime

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 3:13 PM

2 replies

Aug 27, 2012 4:24 PM in response to rmousley

After creating a screen recording using Quicktime (and the video is perfectly clear), I am trying to export to iMovie to edit the video more easily and to add an audio track. However, once the video is turned into an iMovie project, it is blurry. Still blurry after stabilization too.

Is this a minimum information guessing game? Is this a "full" or "partial" screen recording? What are the actual dimensions of the screen capture? Was the capture made using QT or a third-party app? Did you perform a manual or automatic "export" or simply import the screen capture file to iMovie? In what type iMovie project are you editing the exported or imported screen captured file? Why are you stabilizing a screen recording? (I.e., the stabilization routine further rescales the content.)

If I were merely to make a guess, It would be that your work flow is rescaling the content making it blurry in iMovie as compared to the original capture file.

User uploaded file

Mar 15, 2013 1:04 PM in response to rmousley

I have this same problem. I used QuickTime to take the screen capture, capturing a part of my screen (not the full screen). When I view the QuickTime .mov it is crisp and clear. But when I open iMovie and select to import a movie it ends up blurry. I have tried selecting the "full" and "large" setting on the input screen but both are equally blurry. Any suggestions?

Screen recording becomes blurry after exporting to iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.