Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

the scroll ball on my mouse does not scroll down

my mouse does not work properly. it will scroll up, but not down. what gives?

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 6:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply
29 replies

Nov 21, 2012 12:32 PM in response to niwla5664

I've had the same problem going on for a couple of years. Gone through all manner of cotton bud / alcohol / turn it upside down and whisper mac mac mac kinda fixes but you know what works? At least for a while and then you can do it again. SPIT. Yep. Not very hygienic. But just spit on the ball, roll it around a bit. Hey presto. Scrolls down again.

Aug 19, 2013 10:36 PM in response to niwla5664

Alright - SPIT alone wasn't enough for mine; after applying "some" - LOL - gently rolling and spinning didn't help but once I got busy... ehem... with full hands on buttom and top of the mouse, even applying some clicks I think - and rousing the ball - in full hand thrusting motions... (oh this is sounding odd now - sorry) - then suddently it started working! So in learning - maybe the saliva wasn't necessary - guess we'll wait for the next failure! OK - and also know that holding control+using two fingers on the track pad is equalavent! I had zoomed the whole screen in to full zoon - and was stuck! LOL

Mar 19, 2014 1:27 PM in response to Fashion designer

Yes, it seems to work. But what happens when it dries? Back to the problem. If we clean the small ball on the top of the mouse and see if that does not work better. A little denatured alcohol? This didn't seem to work permanently either.

Wonder if you can remove it and reinstall after cleaning it?

Going to try this: http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Mac-Mighty-Mouse-That-Doesn't-Scroll-Properly

Buzz

the scroll ball on my mouse does not scroll down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.