Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Failed Mountain Lion install, Recovery system can't be created. Have you renamed your boot camp drive with a "."?

Just an FYI...

I tried and failed for several hours to install Mountain Lion, and was repeatedly getting the "Recovery System" cannot be created error. I tried all the tricks: resizing the drive partition, booting from an external boot drive, all to no avail. After reading other users struggling with the same issue, I had determined it to be a boot camp drive error. However, I didn't want to have to erase and begin anew when I came upon a possible solution. I had long ago renamed my boot camp drive with a "." (".windows" for me) in order to avoid having the partition show up on my desktop. So, I boot into windows and renamed the c: drive without the "." ("windows"), and reboot into os x. The install then went off without a hitch. I hope this will be helpful for others struggling with this issue that may have renamed their boot camp drives in a similar manner.

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 7:01 PM

There are no replies.

Failed Mountain Lion install, Recovery system can't be created. Have you renamed your boot camp drive with a "."?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.