Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.8.1 - Major Issue - All Mail in "Trash" Gone after Update

ML 10.8 started off for me (and many others) with a few bugs and a major battery issue and now with the 10.8.1 update comes the biggest nail in the coffin with all of my email in the "Trash" folder completely gone.

I need some help from some experts here.

99% of the mail in my "Trash" is gone. I only have email dating back to August 22, 2012 (which is the day I upgraded from 10.8 -> 10.8.1)

I'm using 3 POP accounts and 1 IMAP account.

All accounts and their appropriate "Trash" folders had hundreds of deleted items and the IMAP account had thousands.

I noticed this today while doing a search for somthing in the "Trash"

I'm not sure what to do here, cannot contact AppleCare at the moment as they are closed.

Help...

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 256SSD, 4GB, Core i7

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 11:24 PM

16 replies

Aug 27, 2012 11:47 PM in response to mende1

I get an error "No valid mbox files were found" on both

Jesus

Re-adding won't help me for this account - my IMAP server doesn't have any items in the Deleted Messages folder on the server-side.

Here's where I'm confused - if I receive email in my Inbox, I delete certain items, they end up in my Trash (have been there prior to 10.8.1) and now they're just gone. I've made sure to specify that Mail doesn't permanently delete items on the Server, leaves them there, etc. And since I can remember all items I manually Delete, just go into the "Trash"

Thoughts?

Aug 27, 2012 11:54 PM in response to mende1

Explain this: I have an iPhone (4S iOS 5.1) using the same account (however via POP) configured explcitily to Leave Messages on the Server and that device (iPhone) has 1000+ emails in "Trash"

It couldn't have pulled the Trash contents from the mail server - but they're there, dating pre-OS10.8.1-update

What's going on here...

Aug 28, 2012 12:03 AM in response to mende1

They're not. End at 8/22/12 - day of the 10.8.1. update is where they end (so roughly 30 emails on server)

It's really crazy. I am always triple sure to enable "Leave on Server" across all devices and I use IMAP for all but one device (iPhone uses POP).

This is wild.

I've contacted the mail server admin to see if we can look at a backup of a week ago and restore somehow but that doesn't solve:

1) Why Apple Mail in 10.8.1 deleted all my Trash messages

2) Why my iPhone (POP) has 1000+ deleted items in Trash for this account

Nov 10, 2012 5:04 PM in response to mende1

Thanks. The terminal command worked for me. I had mailboxes from another Mac I wanted to import onto a new Macbook Air running OS 10.8.1, Mail 6.0. The mail appeared to import but the mailboxes were emplty.

Ran suggested command:

1. Open Terminal and type:

chflags nohidden ~/Library

2. Go to Mail > File > Import Mailboxes > Files in mbox format, and open Library > Mail to find them. Import the Trash mailboxes. The mails aren't deleted.

And imported mail was there.

10.8.1 - Major Issue - All Mail in "Trash" Gone after Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.