Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to login to local network users from server

Hello,

I've just set up a 10.8 server from scratch (blank machine, installed 10.8, update to 10.8.1, install Server, that's all).

I've set up Open Directory, activated file sharing, and added a new local network user.

While I can perfectly login to this user on the other macs, I can't do it on the server.

When I look into /Network/Servers/mac-server.local/Users on the server, the folder is empty, so I can understand why the user can't log in, but I can't understand why thats so.

Any thought?

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 12:32 AM

16 replies

Aug 28, 2012 10:48 AM in response to foux

this seems to be a common issue there are several posts exactly like yours, we have been testing 10.8 server and have also found that while 10.7 clients can log on without issue, 10.8 clients cannot log in at all.

and its not an issue with the user as far as I can tell, because we have tried the same user from both a 10.7 mac and a 10.8 mac

Mar 15, 2013 11:49 AM in response to Richard Cartledge

I have the loopback 127.0.0.1 configured in the Search Authentication Policy, but no luck with Network User accounts on the server machine. The login window of the server machine claims "Network Users unavailable," even though the Open Directory is bound.

Apple Support in September 2012 claimed it isn't possible to login a Network User on the server machine under Mountain Lion.

Mar 18, 2013 9:53 AM in response to foux

Following advice found elsewhere, I found half a solution: In Workgroup Manager, select the appropriate computer or computer group and change Preferences:Login to "Show network users".

Now I get a login window on the server machine that *shows* my network user accounts, but they still can't login.

You can find similar discussion here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4345810?start=0&tstart=0

Mar 20, 2013 2:10 AM in response to foux

I had posted this on another thread:

I have set up ML server and Workgroup Manager; DNS seems fine when I check with the "changeip -hostname" or "dig -x" command. However, if I set up a user with either server utility or workgroup manager it won't create the home directory; I have gone into the user preferences section on workgroup manager and configure mobility, login and network preferences but no joy.

If I attemt to login as a newly created user from the server or a client I get the message "You are unable to log in to the user account xxxx at this time. Logging into the account failed becuase an error occurred."

Initially I suspected DNS but as I cannot log in from the server I suspect it may be something else. Any ideas or advice would be welcome.

Output from Terminal:

macmini:~ ServerAdmin$ sudo changeip -checkhostname

Password:

Primary address = 10.0.1.10

Current HostName = server.xxxxxx..private

DNS HostName = server.xxxxxx.private

The names match. There is nothing to change.

dirserv:success = "success"

macmini:~ ServerAdmin$ dig -x server.xxxxx..private

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> -x server.xxxxx..private

;; global options: +cmd

;; Got answer:

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 45399

;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;private.xxxxx.server.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:

in-addr.arpa. 3600 IN SOA b.in-addr-servers.arpa. nstld.iana.org. 2011027974 1800 900 604800 3600

;; Query time: 345 msec

;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)

;; WHEN: Tue Mar 19 18:11:21 2013

;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 123

Aug 25, 2013 10:02 PM in response to foux

The solution was incredibly simple for me, but I only found it after a responder in another thread mentioned opening the Users & Groups settings panel (in the OS System Prefs, not in server) and rebinding to OD server under Login Options.

That was not the solution for me, but under Login Options I discovered a previously unnoticed pref for "Allow network users to login at login window." I had this option set (apparently by default) to "Only these network users:" but with an empty list. Adding my users to the list made it work perfectly.

Oct 23, 2013 12:44 AM in response to foux

All above mentioned settings i have set up, but network users still could not login (shaking window). Only thing what helped was to edit user account -> Advanced options/Login shell and to select ANY of possible shells (/bin/bash is typical) - default setting for new network user account is always /usr/bin/false - which is not any existing shell in MacOS, but phrase what prohibits to login

Unable to login to local network users from server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.