Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't open pics in Preview since Mountain Lion install

Hi - I use Preview to open my iPhoto pics and then save them at a smaller resolution for using on my web pages, blogs, emails etc. It's a bit cumbersome but it works. Now, since I upgraded to Mountain Lion on my MacBook (so it will sync documents with my iPad) blow me - I find I can't open files in Preview! I get a box headed 'icloud for Preview.' The text then says: 'You can move your existing documents to icloud by dragging them here from the finder or other apps.' There's then an option to cancel, and a greyed-out box saying Open, but of course I can't open anything! It means, really, that I have lost the ability to edit my pictures with Preview. Is this right? And is there anything I can do about it? Also, I notice my iPhoto icon has disappeared from my Finder so I can't open iPhoto from there. It's all happened since the Mountain Lion install. Can anyone help, please?

MacBook (13-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.4.7), Working also with iPad

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 5:05 AM

3 replies

Aug 28, 2012 6:18 AM in response to bobwild

Hi - yes, it is there in the applications folder. What I meant, but didn't make clear, is that it's disappeared from my finder sidebar. I have a folder called Pictures, and further down I had an icon called Photos. When I clicked on it, iPhoto opened immediately. I've checked my settings, and the opportunity to display the Photos icon isn't there any more. Now, the odd thing is this - I had mountain lion installed in the Apple store last Thursday, yet both the problems I refer to have only arisen today, in the last couple of hours. I was happily using Preview this morning, and the Phots icon was there! Very odd.

Can't open pics in Preview since Mountain Lion install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.