Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac G3 firmware download link?

Hi,

I just inherited an iMac G3 ruby.

I checked the firmware version in open firmware, and it appears to be 3.0f or something like that

regardless, i'd like to update the firmware to the latest version, required to install OSX

on this website, people post links elsewhere on the apple website to download old G3 firmware, but whenever i click the link, i get taken straight to the apple support page, as thought the link is broken?

I am trying to open the link on an intel imac.

if anyone could tell me where to download this firmware, please do, this is driving me insane

Thanks

Joshua

iMac, Mac OS 9.1.x

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 5:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 5:55 AM

This link:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1283

allowed me to sucessfully download v4.1.9 a few minutes ago on an Intel iMac.

5 replies

Aug 28, 2012 7:58 AM in response to joshualewis94

where did you find that? ive been trawling apple support pages all day! haha

I started with the well-hidden Apple Support "Advanced" search function here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=search&locale=en_US&q=

Bookmark it. I don't think you can get to that page from regular support any longer.

I started searching for g3 imac fireware and limited the search to iMacs, selected only downloads for the results type, and had it incude old archived articles.

Nothing. Zip. Nada, Nichts.

Then I simply entered the version number of the required firmware, 4.1.9, with the same options as before and it was quickly displayed.

For a company that touts its inovation as much as Apple does, their support search functions are pretty ludicrous.

I've been doing this for 12+ years and I couldn't avoid picking up good practices and ideas when hanging around so many talented contributors.

iMac G3 firmware download link?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.