Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Add new pictures to a photo slideshow whilst playing

Hello,

I wasn't sure in which forum to post this question.

I need to output through my macbook's video port a simple photo slideshow (no audio, preferably a simple transition between photos) and while it is playing I need to add new pictures.

While this is happening I need to be able to use the computer (I need it to take the pictures (through a tethered camera) and print the new pictures)

I usually work in FCP and premiere. But I assume I need a piece of software to do this.

I have no idea where to even look for this.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Danielle

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 8:45 AM

4 replies

Aug 28, 2012 10:37 AM in response to Danielle Smit

Hi

I would use totally other programs to do this.

GraphicConverter - Download 100% working test-version from Internet. One of my favourite tools.

iPhoto can quickly assemble SlideShows and play them - easy to add photos to this and then switch back to play.

But - iMovie, FinalCut or iDVD - are not the tools I would use.

Yours Bengt W

Aug 28, 2012 10:45 AM in response to Bengt Wärleby

Hi,
Thank you for your answer.

Yes I figured I would need something completely different, I just wasnt sure in what forum to post.

The problem with iPhoto is that what Ill be doing on the computer will be mirrored on the big screens that are displying the slideshow. I dont want every 5 minutes an interuption and showing the iPhoto interface. It needs to be seamless or almost seamless.

I havent worked with slide shows in Graphic Converter. Do you need to restart a slideshow when you add new pictures to the folder it uses? (like in iPhoto) or will it automatically incorporate those new pictures?

Thank you!

Aug 28, 2012 10:57 AM in response to Danielle Smit

Don't think that this will do either.

Still GC can play/display pictures on one screen and let You select them on another e.g. Your Laptop main screen and not mirroring but displaying a second screen via Projector or other Monitor.

This way one can select appropriate pictures without displaying "all cards on hands" but as discussion progresses.

Download it and try it out - You might find it even worth the pay - It's really one of my favorite tools and especially the batch conversion of photo formats - just fill a folder with all kind of strange file formats and let it convert them to e.g. .jpg or .tiff.

For a few photos this is no problem - but for thousands then GC is really GREAT.

It is well worth to try out.

Yours - not able to be of more help - Bengt W

Oct 5, 2012 11:30 AM in response to Bengt Wärleby

I finally got an answer:

two monitor set up, with your first monitor you can drop new pictures into the screensaver folder, while the second monitor is playing the slideshow and refreshes every 5 minutes:

In applescript:

repeat

do shell script "/System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.a pp/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEngine -background &> /dev/null &"

delay 300

tell application "ScreenSaverEngine" to quit

delay 1

end repeat

Add new pictures to a photo slideshow whilst playing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.