Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Add new pictures to a photo slideshow whilst playing

Hello,

I wasn't sure in which forum to post this question.

I need to output through my macbook's video port a simple photo slideshow (no audio, preferably a simple transition between photos) and while it is playing I need to add new pictures.

While this is happening I need to be able to use the computer (I need it to take the pictures (through a tethered camera) and print the new pictures)

I usually work in FCP and premiere. But I assume I need a piece of software to do this.

I have no idea where to even look for this.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Danielle

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 8:46 AM

6 replies

Aug 28, 2012 2:20 PM in response to Danielle Smit

I can't see how you might use a screensaver for this job. They all use caches of images, and I don't see how that can build that cache while running - that's what that whole "looking for Pictures" message that you get sometimes with ScreenSavers is all about.

Or per

Slideshow apps works similarly. They too build a cache and I don't see that you'll be able to use one of those either as I can’t see a way that you can add to the show while it's running.

I would be looking at presentation apps - Keynote, Powerpoint - to see if you can add as you go to those apps. Or perhaps something like this might work

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/17529/propresenter

My 2 cents.

Regards

TD

Oct 5, 2012 11:30 AM in response to Danielle Smit

I finally got an answer:

two monitor set up, with your first monitor you can drop new pictures into the screensaver folder, while the second monitor is playing the slideshow and refreshes every 5 minutes. yes it displayes briefly "looking for pictures" every 5 minutes.

In applescript:

repeat

do shell script "/System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.a pp/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEngine -background &> /dev/null &"

delay 300

tell application "ScreenSaverEngine" to quit

delay 1

end repeat

Add new pictures to a photo slideshow whilst playing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.