Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brother HL-2070N- Print button won't be clicked!

I've just installed the printer driver for a Brother HL2070N and I've got a problem. Whenever I try to print a PDF in Preview or a document in Word, the printer is selected in the Print menu, but clicking the print button does nothing, it can't be clicked.

The printer is active in the Printer Setup Utility, but the printing menu in any application will not let me print, as the Print button is 'jammed' or just doesn't do anything.

One note- in Word, if I click the print toolbar button, the document prints fine. But this will obviously become a problem in other Apps which need to print via Print menu access, not a shortcut.

Please help!

iMac 600Mhz Snow, Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Posted on Mar 30, 2006 2:35 PM

8 replies

Mar 30, 2006 9:35 PM in response to Harry Davies

I've just installed the printer driver

Which one? The one on the disc which ships with the printer or the one on Brother's site?

for a Brother
HL2070N and I've got a problem. Whenever I try to
print a PDF in Preview or a document in Word, the
printer is selected in the Print menu, but clicking
the print button does nothing, it can't be clicked.

I just attempted to print PDFs from Adobe Reader and Preview, JPGs from Preview, and .doc, .rtf, and .txt files from Word 2004. No probs. Which versions of the apps are you using?

The printer is active in the Printer Setup Utility,
but the printing menu in any application will not let
me print, as the Print button is 'jammed' or just
doesn't do anything.

One note- in Word, if I click the print toolbar
button, the document prints fine.

this means that the driver seems to be working.

But this will
obviously become a problem in other Apps which need
to print via Print menu access, not a shortcut.

Have you tried deleting the driver and reinstalling?

Please help!

Mar 30, 2006 10:22 PM in response to Charles Dyer

I installed the driver from the disk, but then facing the problems, I removed the printer from the System Prefs and installed a driver I downloaded directly from the Brother support site.

All Apps are up-to-date, including Office 2004. I think this may be a system wide problem...

How do I remove the CUPS printer driver and start again? I think maybe starting over may be the solution.

Thanks!

Mar 31, 2006 8:37 AM in response to Harry Davies

Okay, the fact that the Canon works, and that the Brother works when you use the toolbar icon to print indicates that the problem is not system wide. I'd try creating a new user and seeing if the problem exists there. I'd also try uninstalling the printer using the Brother installer. (I think that you can uninstall using the 'Customize' option. I haven't actually tried it, but it can't hurt on your system) Printer Setup Repair, available from Version Tracker and MacUpdate, might be of some assistance. Or you could simply delete the Brother folder from inside /Library/Printers and the Brother printer app from inside /<user>/Library/Printers. Then I'd reinstall using the drivers from Brother's site, and following their directions exactly.

Mar 31, 2006 12:47 PM in response to John Blanchard1

Oh! It's funny you should mention that!

-I've recently installed a Xerox PPD Plugin for a photocopier our office has...on the machine that is having all the problems...

The Canon printer works fine -the print button is actually clickable in the print menu when this particular printer is selected.

Would it be a good idea if I just deleted everything in the /Library/Printers folder? Or is there a better way to uninstall Xerox drivers and the Brother ones using a software installer?

Thanks a lot!

Brother HL-2070N- Print button won't be clicked!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.