Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mountain Lion wont install on macbook. "This disk cannot be used to start up your computer"

Basically, when I try to install the mountain lion update onto my Snow Leapard OS, I get the above message. Something must be wrong with my hd configuration.

I think the problem was caused when I tried to install linux on a partition before this and failed miserably time after time; I think the problem was that reFIT wasn't recognizing the proper partitions to boot into. Anyway, I also noticed that even after deleting the defunct linux partitions using Disk Utility, the linux drives still showed up in the reFit startup menu. Did I screw up my HD? Is that what is preventing me from installing Mountain Lion? If so, how can I fix it?

Thanks.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 11:20 AM

1 reply

Mountain Lion wont install on macbook. "This disk cannot be used to start up your computer"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.