Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When our iMac and MacAir get hot (and we have fans under each), is it better to sleep them in-between sessions, or shut them down? I say shutting them off and on all day does more damage than the heat.

When our iMac and MacAir get hot (and we have fans under each), is it better to sleep them in-between sessions, or shut them down? I say shutting them off and on all day does more damage than the heat. My husband says it's better to completely shut the machine down when the user is finished. The cooling fans help, but he says it's not enough. I say Apple needs to put cooling fans in its products. alice gray & rich breen

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 10.7.4 iMac

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 1:38 PM

3 replies

Aug 28, 2012 6:33 PM in response to baltwo

The outside of the screen gets hot. We're running OSX 10.8.01. Does this machine have an internal fan? Could have fooled me. My Mac Air doesn't get as hot as this one does. Maybe that's the problem? And if it doesn't have an internal fan, how is the smcFanControl going to help? Is the Mac Pro the only one with an internal fan, or do most Macs have them? How can I tell, or control this on my iMac?

When our iMac and MacAir get hot (and we have fans under each), is it better to sleep them in-between sessions, or shut them down? I say shutting them off and on all day does more damage than the heat.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.