Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound won't do ANYTHING

The sound on my Macbook Lion 10.7.4 isn't working. Nothing at all comes out of the speakers, and this development occurred rather suddenly. All the sound settings in System Preferences are on and should be fine. Even when I put in headphones, I still don't get any noise. What's up with my computer?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 2:34 PM

6 replies

Aug 28, 2012 3:02 PM in response to Akaman

Look into the headphone output in a darkened rom, or shade with your hand and see if there is a red light on inside the machine.

If there is it has been switched to digital mode , which can happen from slightly different headphone size jacks.

If you notice a dim red light in the headphone jack, cut the end off a Q tip, and GENTLY inert the cut end into the jack, stop at any resistance, GENTLY "masssage" the tip in the jack, this can help release the micro :normalling" switch free and back into the standard analog mode.

This would be step 1 in this diagnosis.

All the best

Aug 28, 2012 4:14 PM in response to Akaman

Try this , go to Garage band preferences>audio/midi, make sure that Audio output is set for internal.

Make sure Audio Output is set for internal.

Utilities: Audio midi utilities, highlight built-in output, click output tab on right, source: internal speakers, if you still get nothing click configure internal speakers. CH1 Is left, CH2 is right, M is summing L&R to a mono source.

Built in input needs to be set to internal, if not drop down window and check options.

Then if you are trying to play something than a standard format (444100.0hz/2ch-32 bit, try the drop down and see if you can set it for these, as they are standard audio formats.

Good Luck,

sanjampet

Sound won't do ANYTHING

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.