Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

printing from windows shared printers

Hello all,

Since upgrading to Mountain Lion, I can no longer print to my HP Deskjet printer. I've removed and re-added the printer and also tried adding it through CUPS. The printer is showing as ready.

When I try to print, the document is sent my windows 7 machine where the printer is attached to. It also shows up in the windows 7 print queue but it never prints off, just sits there in the queue. This did work before I upgraded.

Any suggestions? Thanks 🙂

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 2:48 PM

11 replies

Aug 29, 2012 4:29 AM in response to sig

See while these are helpful options which I appreciate you taking the time to reply with. It involves me spending money to fix a problem that I didn't have before upgrading to Mountain Lion. Shouldn't have to fork over my own money for a problem I didn't create.

I'll have to stick to USB printing just now until I find a solution!

Sep 4, 2012 9:18 AM in response to rhirons

Greetings Rhirons,

A. Let me start off by asking, have you made sure you're running the latest drivers for your printer?

B. What model Deskjet are you trying to use? Make sure it's on the supported devices list, here.

C. Have you confirmed that you've set the default printer to your printer connected to the Mac? Here is a great article describing the steps needed.

Sep 4, 2012 11:42 AM in response to GarlandM

Thanks for replying,

It's the latest drivers downloaded by OSX itself (I installed the printer via USB first so I know the drivers at on the machine).

I'm using a HP Deskjet 1050

When printing off the network I make sure it's the correct choice when printing stuff.

As I said, it prints fine when connected via USB to the mac, however when I try to print when it's connected to my windows 7 machine it doesn't. The printer is showing as ready and the print job gets passed to the print queue on windows 7 as I can see it showing in the print queue on windows 7. It just sits there, not printing. Yet if I print anything from windows 7 it goes through straight away.

My setup worked 100% before the switch to mountain lion. I've not changed anything else. Very odd......

Nov 18, 2012 3:15 AM in response to rhirons

I have exactly the same problem. My printer is HP DeskJet 2100. I was able to print from my MacBook Pro when it was Snow Leopard.

When I upgraded to Mountain Lion I can still see the printer, but when I try to print the document shows in print queue, printer makes some noises and nothing happens then.

My Windows machine that I have my printer connected to was Windows XP so I thought new MacOS stopped supporting that ancient OS. However, I just upgraded that PC to Windows 8 and problem persisted.

Strange indeed.

Jan 9, 2013 6:00 PM in response to rhirons

I owe this solution to http://244thstreet.blogspot.com: it solved all of our problems!

Here's original link: http://244thstreet.blogspot.com/2012/10/windows-7-printing-to-mountain-lion_1373 .html

Windows 7 Printing to Mountain Lion Problem Resolved

I spent about 2 days trying to get my Windows 7 Machine to print on a Mountain Lion Mac. I did the usual things like

1. turning on the printer sharing in the System Preferences
  2. turning off the firewalls,
  3. verifying connectivity, (tracert, ping, nslookup)
  4. using the windows 7 printer setup and trying
    1. browsing for the printer (nothing would show)
    2. typing the IP address
    3. typing the host name
    4. typing the full name i.e. \\host\printer

but no matter what I tried, the windows 7 machine would not see the printer.In the end, I realized that I needed to

1. install Bonjour (apple's "zero configuration" networking utility) on the Windows 7 machine
  2. run the Bonjour printer wizard and connect it to the mac's shared printer,
  3. That's it! Printer installed and working.

Hope that saves someone else some grief!!

printing from windows shared printers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.